USB external drive will not install

I have a WD My Passport Ultra USB external drive which will not work with my Windows 7 laptop. When I plugged it in to the USB port it failed to install a driver and then it did not appear under My Computer.

The failure message was: "Device driver software was not successfully installed". According to the manufacturer's website it does not require its own driver but uses a standard driver built in to the operating system.

The drive shows up under Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers -> Devices, with a yellow warning triangle. It also shows up in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers, also with a yellow warning triangle. Looking at its properties here, the device status is: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). Access is denied. To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver". It does not show up at all in Disk Management.

The external drive works on other laptops running Windows 8 and Windows XP, so I know that the drive works. A different USB external drive works on my laptop, so I know that there is nothing inherently wrong with the laptop or its USB ports.

I have tried updating the driver, uninstalling the driver and following a few suggested solutions from this forum and others, but nothing has worked so far. Does anyone have any ideas? If any further information would be useful to you please ask.

Back