USB flash drive not recognized, can't boot

Baasha

I just joined this forum today. It looks like it has a plethora of useful information. I am hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I have a PLEOMAX 8GB Flash/Thumb drive that I've used for several years without issue. Just two days ago, I plugged it in and when the AutoPlay window popped up (Windows 7 x64 SP1), I clicked the "Open Folder to View Files" but it stopped responding (the window faded to white and said "(Not Responding)"). So I pulled the drive out manually and now when I plug it in, it is NOT recognized anywhere except in Device Manager as "CORNICE Mass USB Storage" or something like that.

It doesn't work on other USB ports or on other computers (all of them show up on Device Manager but nowhere else). It doesn't even show up in Disk Management.

I have some very important files on that drive that I need so what do I do to get the drive to work properly again?

Please help!

PC Now won't even BOOT! HELP!!!

I tried to fix this issue myself and it looks like I got into more trouble with the whole thing!

I looked at the "Filter" thread thinking the USB drive is not being recognized because of the UpperLimit and LowerLimit filters in the registry. On this site, someone had posted a tutorial on how to remove those filters to see if the USB drive(s) work again.

I followed that tutorial and found one UpperLimit filter for the Class GUID of my USB/Thumb drive. I deleted it and when I rebooted, the computer won't even BOOT to desktop! What's worse, it won't even boot in Safe Mode now!

PLEASE HELP!

I am so frustrated right now. I really need my PC and can't believe this is happening because of a single deleted registry entry.

Someone, please help me!

What version of Windows is installed? Be prepared to reload Windows fresh, and don't depend on saving important data on a single flash drive for long. You should back up important data to another hard drive or to a CD/DVD... or all 3 devices

What version of Windows is installed? Be prepared to reload Windows fresh, and don't depend on saving important data on a single flash drive for long. You should back up important data to another hard drive or to a CD/DVD... or all 3 devices

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't have a chance to see your post until today.

I have Windows 7 x64 SP1 installed.

The drive is recognized in Device Manager. Yet, if I try to "Disable" or "Enable" it, it just hangs and I have to kill the process in Task Manager and/or yank the drive out manually.

I will remember to back up the files elsewhere but how do I get the files on that flash drive now? I really need them ASAP.

Thanks.

"but how do I get the files on that flash drive now? I really need them ASAP"...

We see this plea all the time...

I downloaded the PhotoRec tool but the USB drive is not even recognized! It doesn't show up in the list of drives on the system with that tool.

Is there a way I can make it recognize it? That's what I'm finding so hard with this issue is that this USB flash drive doesn't work on other computers either. It shows up in Device Manager but nowhere else!

You have done all you can and so have we :(

hmm.. so is there anyway I can recover the files from that USB drive? Should I take it to a 'professional' data recovery shop?

also, I snapped a pic of the Hardware IDs in the Device Manager. Is it strange that there are so many hardware ids for the usb drive? is that the cause of it not being recognized?

I suppose the drive is FUBAR.. I hope I can get those files back...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
Back