USB ports gone Wacko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I found this site after hours of hair-pulling and searching for a solution. I read this thread [techspot.com/vb/topic23630.html] that talked about a similar problem I had but different. I've also read a few other threads on this site.

Lemme start by telling you the specs of my laptop. I have a Compaq Presario V3000Z Turion64 2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, XP operating system. It is almost 1.5 years old (out of warranty).

I basically have 3 problems with my USB ports.

1. My once USB 2.0 ports are now running at 1.1 speed. It just suddenly happened one day. I didn't do any major activities on my pc so I'm really not sure what happened.

2. At the same time, I get a "Device may not work properly" or "Unknown Device" error message for all my USB devices...sometimes, the error message is right, and none of my USB devices (Ipod, Mouse) work. I have to restart my Laptop and usually by the 2nd or 3rd restart, it starts working again.

Many have said that reformatting the laptop doesn't work...so I don't plan on doing that. I did try deleting my USB drivers and restarting the laptop. That makes the drives 'work' again (albeit in 1.1 mode), but still doesn't fix the speed. I also tried the 'disconnecting all power sources from the laptop and letting it sit for 30mins' trick -- it didn't help.

3. For some reason, whenever it shows the "Unknown Device" message and I click on it, it shows that I have 8 ports, buttt, I only have 3 ports. Also, it gives me the "Unknown Device" message even when I don't have ANYTHING plugged in. I really don't know what made my USB ports go ballistic all of a sudden, but if anyone has any tips on how I can fix it, please share.

Your system doesn't have any online drivers to load for USB
Therefore Vista itself is supplying the driver files only.

Under that case, please got to:

Start --> Run --> devmgmt.msc

Once Device Manager Opens, check for any issues
A troubleshooting guide for Vista Device Manager is here: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5183

But it seems to me that you are best to remove all USB drivers
Warning: Removing the USB drivers (fully) will also stop a USB mouse and/or USB keyboard.

Once the drivers are fully removed. Restart

Allows Windows to automatically find and setup the new drivers

Test again for USB 2

I have an XP operating system. I don't know if that'd make a difference.

i've tried deleting both USB drivers before anf restarting, but it still gave me the same error messages.

Sorry the 64 threw me off!

I checked for Xp and Xp 64 and both also do not have USB drivers (other than mouse support) from Hp
Therefore Xp is also providing the USB drivers in full

If you go back to Device Manage. Then click on View -> Show Hidden Devices
Do you see any devices that require updating or possible removing and re-installing. (ie any yellow querrie marks) Also confirm that the devices are enabled.

If you have tried this, and all looks good (or as best as it can be) then you have 3 other possibilities.

1. Confirm in CMOS that USB is enabled or Automatic
When your computer first turns on, press the key that gets you into CMOS (or bios or setup) usually DEL or F2 or F10
Once in CMOS, confirm USB is enabled

2. Confirm that you do not have any Spyware or Virus present
Update your Antivirus and do a full scan. It is also advised to scan with a good Spyware program (like Spybots S&D or Ad-Aware)

3. Check Windows files are intact
Start --> Run--> CMD
On the command prompt type:
sfc /ScanNow
And press Enter. You may need your Xp CD during the scan (about an hour in duration)
And you should unplug Network. And disable any realtime protection software (like Antivirus; Firewall; Spyware applications; And registry protection programs.

Please try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back