USB ports not working after mobo driver install (fresh xp install)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOLVED: USB ports not working after mobo driver install (fresh xp install)

Hello all, long time browser first poster...

Anyways, I had to do a fresh install of XP after some nasty spyware/keloggers found their way onto my system.

Everything works fine until after i install the motherboard drivers.
motherboard: EVGA nforce 680i SLI

after the PC reboots I am still able to access the BIOS screen wth the keyboard, and my mouse lights are on. As soon as windows XP (home) loads, the lights on my mouse turn off, and both the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive.

I have tried several things. First, i verified that USB support was enabled in the BIOS. I then tried another fresh install (easy beacuse i partitioned 12g just for the install, so i could just re-format if anything like this ever happened) and installed the current drivers for the mouse and keyboard first (logitech g5 laser mouse and g15 keyboard). Then i installed the mobo drivers..... same results.

I tried the other way around as well, but to no avail. I am completely stumped as to why the darn drivers that came with the mobo won't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

EDIT: the old-school (ps/2, ps/3?) keyboard/mouse ports aren't working either

**LookinArounds link to the fix:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122125.html#post751005 ***

Is the reason the keyboard and mouse are not working is because they are USB?

Were the chipset drivers installed from a disk that came with the motherboard, or from downloads...
When you to to Device Drivers withing Hardware in System on the Control panel, do you see yellow or red flags by the long USB set or any other drivers on the list?
We assume your system worked OK until this re-install of Windows?
Are you sure you have the partitions configured properly so that the drives are being installed to the main partition rather than the other partition... and how do you know?
We suspect the problem has to do with those partitions and they way you have set them up.

---Is the reason the keyboard and mouse are not working is because they are USB?

I assume so, but the other pinned mouse and keyboard ports do not work as well.

---Were the chipset drivers installed from a disk that came with the motherboard, or from downloads...

I tried the original chipset drivers as well as the updated drivers on nvidia's website, same results

--When you to to Device Drivers withing Hardware in System on the Control panel,
do you see yellow or red flags by the long USB set or any other drivers on the list?

After I installed the drivers and before the reboot the USB drivers were showing n flags, can't get to the device manager after reboot 'cuz the keyboard/mouse is frozen

--We assume your system worked OK until this re-install of Windows?

Yes indeed

--Are you sure you have the partitions configured properly so that the drives are being installed to the main partition rather than the other partition... and how do you know?

I am not sure, the windows drive is still the C:\ drive and that's where the nvidia drivers are being downloaded (C:\nvidia\etc...) I'll check to see what the full pathname is after work tonite

--We suspect the problem has to do with those partitions and they way you have set them up

thats very intriguing. Currently its set up like this: 1x 250gb hdd split into a 15 gig partition for windows (C:\) and the rest for programs/documents; and 1x 70gb hdd for extra storage.

I am going to try and install windows without formatting the 2nd portion of the hard drive, and keep on trying to rule out possible culprits.

Sorry about the late response, working 6pm-2am for Red Flag military exercise here in Las Vegas

thanks,

steve

See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

And you reinstalled and Windows startups up, correct? And your issues are just with your USB devices? As if so, my own experience tells me if Windows is starting then your device issues have next to nothing to do with your disk partitioning

/* EDIT */
You can also check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

fixed

OK, I followed the instructions in the link, and it worked!

I still have no idea why i had to do all of that, considering i have wiped this particular system 3 times before with no problems whatsoever. Oh well, nothing to lose sleep over, I don't foresee having to do this ever again since i've already pre-ordered my copies of Windows 7.

Thanks for the help, chock it up to a win for the <SOLVED> threads!

Steve

You're most welcome. Always glad to hear a success story :grinthumb

One last request, if you could edit the Title to your thread so it now starts with the word SOLVED: would help others w/similar problem looking for solutions too :)

looks like i spoke too soon... after a rebood the USB devices aren't working again. Additionally, i'm getting a rundll error saying:

Error loading C:\windows\system32\NVMCTRAY.DLL the specified module could not be found

sigh

EDIT: error appears to be from my video card driver install, (another first time error on this machine), unrelated to the USB issue. Jeez its like the PC is falling appart :(

Rats! :(

Let me suggest
1) Look back at my steps in post #4 to check if Windows reports problem devices
2) Then follow steps again to just reinstall the USB controllers (not mother chipset drivers) and let's see if the USB devices come back or not
3) NVMCTRAY.DLL is part of your nvidia graphics driver so is odd that it should also act up now but why don't you go uninstall and reinstall your nvidia drivers as well

Then let's see the result of above then can figure out the best next step

OK, re-downloaded the drivers from NVIDIAs site rather than EVGA, and after a reboot, I still have USB functionality!

now to re-install the video card drivers...

hrmm, re-downloaded from NVIDIA,
still getting the
Error loading C:\windows\system32\NVMCTRAY.DLL the specified module could not be found
and another one:

Error loading C:\windows\system32\nvcpl.DLL the specified module could not be found

are they both video card related?

Looks like i had to baby step this one, install the original drivers that came with the motherboard, update windows, then update the graphics card, etc etc etc. consider problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back