Use for wireless access point, can do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Hey I have a situation where a client has a specialty device connected to their solar power system. The device has an Ethernet jack to connect into the network for viewing the device's web interface.
However, it cannot physically be connected with Cat5 because it's in the garage and has to stay connected to solar equipment.

I figure the best way to connect it to the network is wireless, but the device doesn't have wireless, their cable modem/router has wireless. So I thought a WAP is the way to go, but not sure if that is how they are supposed to work. A WAP has a single Ethernet jack but see I don't want to connect it to the router to provide wireless access, rather I want to connect the DEVICE to the Ethernet jack and communicate back to the router over wireless. Can a WAP be used this way?

In other words, it's NOT router to jack to wireless broadcast. Rather it's router to wireless to jack to the device so device can talk to network over wireless.

Another way to ask it is, a WAP comes with a single jack, can I use that jack for the device or must it directly connect to the router for DHCP?

If a WAP can't be used this way, how else can I connect a remote device on Ethernet in to the network? Note that this device has no "screen" or too many setup options, it's just a box that hosts its own web page for status. It just wants to be on a network so it can be viewed. The wireless part of the WAP would NOT be for broadcasting a signal to any wireless device to get on, but instead will only function as the single path between router and the device.

Any ideas?

Doesn't the maker have instructions on their website, along with the hardware details.
There are shielded ethernet cables, also known as plenum cables, sold in 100, 150, 200, and 300 feet length that work very well. How far is the garage away from the computer and other connections? What you are suggesting will keep you working all week.

here's how
Code:
modem--original.router---cable.to.AP .. wifi .. to the garage .. 2nd.ap -- cable to device
             |
             +---- original LAN setup
the second AP runs in bridge mode

What if they have a combo modem/router/wireless gateway? Couldn't I skip the 2nd AP and just use it in bridged mode anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back