Usually able to fix virus problem... but finally beaten

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmitharine

My original problem post is under the Microsoft OS forum and is titled "Usually able to fix virus problem...but finally beaten"

The virus/malware/spyware has still managed to disable access to major anti-virus websites and downloading off of Microsoft. I figured it would be safe to go-ahead with HijackThis. I attached the log but am not sure as what to do with it. Please help.

Whenever I try to download something of the Microsoft website, I get an web page that says that the page cannot be accessed. Whenever I try going to a major anti-virus software site, like Avast.com, it does the same thing.

I followed the 8 steps but Malwarebytes always crashes when I try to install or uninstall it. SUPERantispyware won't even start installing, there's always an error and automatically closes.

Running both of these is not helpful. Pick one; uninstall the other.

Avira AntiVir
avast! Antivirus

This could be all that it takes to get you moving on the 8-steps. Otherwise, read on.

This is the preferred tactic to disable trojans using the non-plug N play exploit. There are others.
Special case where after installing MBAM and SAS they will not update or run
Read here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic116603.html

If the logs inform on the 'TDSS' trojan, 'Supplement to the guide' instructions will apply. I've recommended this more than once or twice this week.

Disabling the TDSS trojan was the answer! I am now able to download and correctly install and use Malwarebytes and SUPERantispyware. I attached the logs after completing the 8-steps. Anyone know what I should do?

It's helpful when you call attention to findings, as you did, and adding symptoms is useful for understanding the threat / infection. For your case, we will supplement our guide with a special scan / tool. Please review the 8-step guide for MBAM usage.

Observation: More progress is needed.
  • Your logs show found but unanswered items - React to unanswered items appearing in scan logs
  • NO Action’ - Remove Selected when offered by MBAM
  • 'Delete on Reboot’ - Restart the computer after concluding the scan

Overview -
  • ComboFix is a very effective tool that scans / fixes hard to clean infections. Additionally, it includes diagnostic information.
  • Uninstall old copy of ComboFix
Supplement to guide. Successive scans used to uncover additional infections.
  • Update both MBAM & SAS. Rerun them both.

• This effort is complete when logs report NO infections/threats, or reporting something it can not clean.
    • Typically extra repeat scans are not needed
  • Follow ComboFix instructions referenced below.

• Scan with HJT. (part of instructions for ComboFix)

• Posts logs. Report progress & what changes are observed. Include logs that found infections.

Uninstall Combofix - if present on the computer

Please see this for instructions:
Temporarily Disable Real Time Monitoring Programs:

• 1 Spybot S&D (Teatimer)
  • 2 Ad-Aware Ad-Watch
  • 3 Spywareguard
  • 4 Windows Defender
  • 5 TrojanHunter Guard
  • 6 Disable SpySweeper
  • 7 WinPatrol
  • 8 CounterSpy
  • 9 AVG Anti-Spyware (formerly ewido)