Valve to release Portal 2 DLC this summer

Emil

Staff

Many gamers may have already beaten Portal 2, but they shouldn't just give up and wait for Portal 3. That's because Valve plans on releasing downloadable content (DLC) for Portal 2 this summer, according to a Fast Company interview with Doug Lombardi, Valve's vice president of marketing:

There is a comic online, but beyond that, is there more Portal coming?
Doug: We will be announcing some DLC for it, so folks can keep a look out for more content coming this summer. We'll be putting more details out about that in a week or so. We'll support that with more videos or more comics.

Upon release, Portal 2 faced quite a bit of backlash from gamers. Considering the game's full retail price, many were annoyed with two aspects of the game in particular: the virtual store and the length of the campaign. Portal 2 lets you purchase $80 worth of in-game cosmetics such as gestures, hats, and skins for co-op characters that don't affect actual gameplay - players were disappointed that Valve wasted development effort on such a lame money-grabbing scheme as a virtual store. Furthermore, the single player portion of the game takes between five and eight hours, depending on quickly you solve the puzzles, while the multiplayer lasts about three to six hours.

It appears that Valve can fix the two biggest issues gamers have with Portal 2 by releasing some great DLC. By adding more levels, the company can extend the length of the campaign, but it should not charge for them, otherwise the company will once again be accused of charging too much.

Portal 2 was released for Windows, Mac OS X, the Xbox 360, and the PlayStation 3 on April 19, 2011 in North America and on April 21, 2011 in Europe and Australia. By itself, Portal 2 costs $50 but you can buy both Portal and Portal 2 for just $55.

Permalink to story.

Given Vavle's past reputation for release DLC of free (at least for PC users) for Left For Dead, L.F.D. 2,, along with the completely free Team Fortress 2 items, I'm sure valve won't disappoint with the DLC. I'm sure console users will be upset though since they will be sure to pay for it, unless Sony and Valve were able to come to an agreement with their integrated STEAM network.

Guest said:
full retail price was a big joke for the 4 hours I have spent.
4 hours my ***! Certainly not to completion! I would consider myself fairly quick at working things out and I have not finished it yet with 8 hours played (according to Steam and with some co-op gameplay).

Unless you were conducting a speed run you couldn't do it that quickly and if it was a speed run then what makes portal 2's price any different from the premium people pay for the COD series...

SilverCider said:
Guest said:
full retail price was a big joke for the 4 hours I have spent.
4 hours my ***! Certainly not to completion! I would consider myself fairly quick at working things out and I have not finished it yet with 8 hours played (according to Steam and with some co-op gameplay).

Unless you were conducting a speed run you couldn't do it that quickly and if it was a speed run then what makes portal 2's price any different from the premium people pay for the COD series...

Not true. I don't consider myself anything special but I did the SP in 5 to 6 hours - If I hadn't slowed down to check out the nice little details I might easily have got to 4h 30m.

I think you overrate your own abilities :-S

I beat the game in 5.5hrs and that was a lot of messing around. If you are pulling 8hrs then so be it but I started a thread over on steam. Most people are in the 4-7hr range. For $50 it is a huge waste of money.

Is the DLC going to be only pre-made maps by Valve and/or community, or will they include custom map making tools for console users (a la Halo's Forge Mode).

I wouldn't judge this game based solely on the solo or co-op games. each were meant to make up about half of the game, plain and simple. Those feeling cheated should consider doing more research before committing their funds. I would contend that Valve consistently makes solid, entertaining games regardless of the genre.

I cannot believe that you would even consider that Valve would make something like that, it would be TERRIBLE. If you want to make custom "maps" (which are really premade maps that you spawn props in), then please get a pc and learn to ACTUALLY map.

ROFL 4 hour game = 40 euros +/- then i can imagine how long the DLC will be... no thx valve i am done with you.

remember when people cried about L4D2 and DLc , and then they gave us loads and loads of free stuff , and still patch it and do new maps and game modes ? . Those saying it took 4 hours havent even played the game , 4 hours is a load of nonsense .

IF you go on a speed run then it is a waste of 'the green stuff' but play it slow and it isn't.

No way you completed this in 5 to 6 hours. I've played through it 4 times now... and the fastest that I've completed is 6.5 hours.. and that's after knowing how to complete each level... which is not apparent the first time around. It is a really fun game, and the split screen coop is very much appreciated. And the fact that they will be adding new maps and new features on consoles for free is also awesome. And the fact that if you bought the ps3 or the crap360 version you get to play it for free on the pc and get the authoring tools to make your own levels is cool as well. Anyone mad at this really has issues and needs to go back to playing popcap games. I've personally made seven levels that takes about 4 hours to complete each... make that 5 levels as the first two only take about an hour. I'm just glad to see a game that has multiplayer that isn't capture the flag, kill all and take over bases.. so boring.. and no griefing....great job Valve.... Been a fan since half life.. and with this kind of quality game.. I hope to be a fan for a long time.

Back