Valve's new employee handbook is chock-full of awesome, read it now

Shawn Knight

Staff member

valve new employee handbook

If you’ve ever wondered how some of the most successful companies in the world are able to attract the best talent around and produce outstanding products year in and year out, Valve’s Handbook for New Employees is a great place to start educating yourself. A PDF of the handbook was recently uploaded at Flamehaus (now also officially from Valve) that reveals just how different (and awesome) it is to work at Valve.

Unlike a traditional job where the employee is given a desk and a set of instructions from a manager, those working a Valve don’t have a manager. As outlined in the handbook, hierarchy is great for maintaining predictability, repeatability and managing a large number of people. But for one of the top entertainment companies on the planet, telling an employee to sit behind a desk and do one specific task kills 99 percent of their value.

valve new employee handbook

As such, employees at Valve don’t have managers – there’s nobody to report to each day. Furthermore, workers get to select which projects they want to work on, have the power to green-light new projects and even ship products.

Every employee desk has a set of wheels on the bottom that serves two purposes. The first is a symbolic reminder that one should always consider where they could move to be more valuable. The other is literal – team members often move their desks close together when working on a project for obvious reasons.

Office perks are reminiscent of those found at Google which include a laundry service, gym, massage room and a game room, just to name a few. You can check out the entire handbook for more details by clicking here.

Permalink to story.

Lol, 'Perks' Aka... reasons for you to never leave the office.

I think the trick to making this method work is to hire very driven, smart, and hardworking people. But with no one to report to, who will decide if you deserve a nice fat bonus doing something great?

Wow, after reading Valve's new employee handbook, I realize why I like the company so much. I think some of the methods they use would be good in other companies as well and now that this manual is out maybe someone will implement some of them. The world is changing as human's grow in all aspects.

They stumbled upon the fact that when a business owner makes sure each and every day to remind their employees that they're useless pieces of crap and can be replaced at a moment's notice that company does not attract and retain the best talent in an industry.

This, this is how computer games should be created, by people who actually want to make a good game and not given any restriction.

Half-Life 2 EP3 / Half-Life 3 Please at least give us a hint its still in the works! :)

After reading the book i am thinking whether all those levels in portal are actually a part of the valve office building.

Employee 1: "So, what about Half Life 3?"

Employee 2: "Nahh... Too hard to do... Lets make another Left 4 Dead..."

Employee 1: "But what about the fans???"

Employee 2? "We don't even have bosses man! F*ck the fans!!!"

Employee 1 and 2: LOOLOLOLO

nope, instead of having hundreds of thousands of black smiths making goods there own way we have people standing in a assembly line attaching one piece of object over and over and a small development team
thats not killing creativity, its meaning less people have unique skills.
The industrial revolution is the reason cars, computers, light bulbs, etc exist.

Back