Valve's Steam Deck UI is replacing Big Picture mode

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Even those not intending to buy Valve's Steam Deck could be impacted by its arrival. A company spokesperson has confirmed that the handheld's user interface will replace Steam's Big Picture mode.

Valve moderator austinp_valve confirmed the change on the Steam community forums. They added that the company did not know exactly when the move will take place. "Yes, we are replacing Big Picture with the new UI from Deck," reads the message. "We don't have an ETA to share yet though."

Replacing the little-loved Big Picture mode will be welcomed by most Steam users. Announced in 2011 and released in beta 2012, it is designed to give PCs a console-like UI with controller support when connecting to a large TV. The mode hasn't been given a significant refresh since way back in 2015.

The Steam Deck, which runs a new version of Steam's Linux-based operating system called SteamOS 3.0, already appears to offer a better user experience than Big Picture mode, so this seems like a sensible decision on Valve's part.

Following the Steam Deck announcement last week, Valve allowed consumers to preregister for the handheld by paying a $5 deposit that is applied to the final cost when the devices get closer to their shipping dates. The first shipments are scheduled to begin in December 2021, but the huge demand has seen Valve change the availability for new pre-orders. It led to scalpers selling the devices for over $1,000 on eBay, though the auction site says it is clamping down on the practice as it violates its pre-order policy.

In other Steam Deck news, a Valve engineer recently confirmed that the machine is perfectly capable of playing games directly from SD cards, which is good, given the device's limited storage and the size of many current games.

Permalink to story.

Nice.

I hope that they included adding games from other stores, because quite frankly, this is turning into a mess for people that use gaming pc as a super console and only use their gamepads to control the device.

Like Playnite and GOG Galaxy 2.0.

Nice.

I hope that they included adding games from other stores, because quite frankly, this is turning into a mess for people that use gaming pc as a super console and only use their gamepads to control the device.

Like Playnite and GOG Galaxy 2.0.
I think the epic ceo said hes excited for this device. so likely epic will be on there.

I think the epic ceo said hes excited for this device. so likely epic will be on there.
Maaaybeee.

I say that because since the device can be reformatted and use windows instead, the epic store can then be added.

specially since epic doent support linux at all, which is what steamos 3.0 uses.

but fingers crossed.

I didnt said that. I said that Epic might direct people to erase SteamOS and install Windows, then install the Epic store.
That's dreadful if they do that, they should support Linux really. Since they keep saying they're all Pro PC over at Epic.

That's dreadful if they do that, they should support Linux really. Since they keep saying they're all Pro PC over at Epic.
Nope.

As a matter of fact, they have removed Linux versions of games that used to support Linux after they bought the developers.

Nope.

As a matter of fact, they have removed Linux versions of games that used to support Linux after they bought the developers.
Well, another reason not to buy anything from EGS :)

Also more evidence Tim is truly full of crap. Wants to make PC gaming better and all he's done is lock it down to Windows and his store exclusively for certain games.

Well, another reason not to buy anything from EGS :)

Also more evidence Tim is truly full of crap. Wants to make PC gaming better and all he's done is lock it down to Windows and his store exclusively for certain games.
Thats why I never even bothered in creating an account with Epic.

The only thing that I will say positive of them is that they might be the ones to force apple to allow sideloading on their locked down ios devices.

And I would rather have an Epic account than an Apple device. Neither one has anything that interest me. I did create an Epic account. I snagged a few free games. Since I never played any of them. Eventually I stopped logging just to grab the freebies.

For work reasons, I have to have and deal with apple devices.

Also, I got tired of buying crappy android tablets, so got an ipad and has been good so far, except for their stupid censorship.

I recently played with a samsung Tab S7 and it is a nice tablet, but it does need some declutterring.

Back