Varieties of SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Hi everyone,
I have an older Mobo and it does have Sata. The only problem is that there is more than one version of Sata out there. My Mobo is a Intel D865BGF desktop motherboard and has two sata connections on it ( Sata0 and Sata1). Can someone help me determine which version of Sata that I have?

Thanx

There is SATA 1 spec (150Gbs) or 150 Giga >bits< per second data transfer speed, and SATA 2 which is 300Gbs.

Your board is the earlier SATA 1. The markings on the board have nothing to do with the interface speed, they are the port numberings, The zero is the lowest number and it's where the drive with the OS is normally placed, since at boot up, it's the first port detected. Basically if you only have one HDD, it gets plugged into the "0" socket.

Cool, at the moment i just have the regular EIDE connection so I was looking for a Sata HDD. After I looked around a bit, I saw that there was more than one type. Now that I know that my Mobo uses a Sata1 connection, I'll go look for a HDD.

Thanx!

You don't have to get a SATA I drive, SATA II is backwards compatible. Worst case scenario is you need to set it to legacy mode with a jumper (this jumper is not to be confused with the jumpers on IDE drives - there is no master slave stuff for SATA).

In a word, yes. As SNGX has pointed out, sometimes it may be necessary to move a jumper at the rear of the drive to render it compatible with the older SATA 1 standard. There only a couple of SATA150 drives still on the market anyway, a couple of Western Digital "Raptors", but even these could be just accumulated stock at the merchant levels. There would be no earthly point in you buying one of them anyway.

Make sure you have all your "Windows" or "recovery" discs ready before you under take this project, This assumes you're considering making your SATA drive the principle drive, or OS (C) dirve, if you will. Sata (with XP) requires that you install SATA drivers during the OS install. In most cases, a more practical ( and much simpler approach) requires you to enter the computer's BIOS and set it so the computer treats the SATA drive as IDE. Many boards auto-select this run option anyway, but if during your install the computer tells you it can't find an HDD, this is most likely the problem.

Oh, and before you do anything, back up ALL your data. You will also be able to transfer your files from your old drive to the new one. Both Western Digital and Seagate have software available on their websites to help you do this. ONCE YOU HAVE THAT WORKED OUT, and NOT UNTIL, cou could then simply delete the Windows file on the old drive so that there is no boot conflict.

As a rule Newegg is probably the number one and possibly the best computer parts Etailer. Tiger Direct has a fine reputation as well. I get everything on line from Newegg, and the rest comes from Microcenter as they have a brick & mortar about ten miles from me.

OK, I've got all of my data backed on to a Seagate External 500GB HDD, which I love by the way.:D However, if I am to make my new SATA HDD my primary drive, would I need to get a new copy of Windows XP? And if I would have to do that, should I just go ahead and go all the way as to go with Vista? I guess its not as good so I assume I'll just stay with Windows XP anywayz.

Don't Panic.......

No, you usually only have to buy a new copy of Windows if you replace the motherboard in an OEM system.

Please, stick with XP. You have an older system that really doesn't have the "oomph" for a Vista installation. IMO you'd be much happier and better served by keeping XP. An older board such as yours, (and the one I'm using now (Intel 915GAG)), likely won't have the correct drivers available to deal with Vista anyway

Even in a worst case scenario where you have to buy a new Windows disc, I still recommend that you stay with XP. Newegg still has it in stock too; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511 It really shouldn't come to this. Even a set of OEM restore discs should be able to rebuild the Windows installation on the new drive

Staying with XP

Alright, sounds good as I've had little to no problems with XP and I hear there's a lota bugs with vista so XP it is. Its a lot more sturdy OS. I'm pretty sure all will go well and I'll soon be running with a SATA HDD for my Motherboard. Until the day comes where I'll most surely need a new one, which I'll probably end up getting either a new Intel or Asus; I hear good things about both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back