Velocity Micro's sub-$300 Android 2.1 'Cruz' tablets surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Yet another tablet product line has been unearthed, this time from custom PC maker Velocity Micro. The slates, called Cruz, are poised to take on both e-readers and tablets, and will reportedly appear over the coming months in two configurations: 4 x 3 and 16 x 9.

The upper-crust model will feature Android 2.1, a 7-inch color capacitive multitouch display, an 800MHz processor, expandable storage via SD card and USB, and a Web browser with Flash support. The company hasn't specifically mentioned the Android Market, but the tablets will have access to an open content portal through the "Cruz Market" and there's talk of apps for eBooks, magazines, video, music and games.

Velocity Micro is marketing its slates as the "world's first family of affordable touch screen ereaders and tablets," and although an official price hasn't been disclosed, Engadget reports that the series will be sub-$300. Cruz tablets are pegged for a July debut.

Permalink to story.

The processor fails. They should have used Snapdragon. But I guess that would have made it more expensive.

I don't think it will do that good.

Do you even know what processor it's using?

I'm more worried about resolution. If it's 800x480, then it's too low for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back