Verizon-exclusive Lumia Icon unveiled as Nokia's new flagship smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nokia’s latest Windows Phone is now available for pre-order as a Verizon exclusive. Known as the Lumia Icon, the company’s new flagship handset is a sensible departure from the massive display found on the Lumia 1520 and includes a couple of other noteworthy revisions to boot.

It all starts with a smaller 5-inch OLED display with Nokia’s ClearBlack technology that operates at a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 – a combination that provides a pixel density of 441 pixels per inch. The panel boasts up to 500 nits when exposed to bright light and is covered by Gorilla Glass 3. Technology from Synaptics allows the touchscreen to function even when the user is wearing gloves.

Under the hood is a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.2GHz, 2GB of system memory and 32GB of onboard flash storage. There’s no expandable storage but the phone does ship with 7GB of free OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) cloud storage should you need more space.

Other features include 4G LTE connectivity, a 2,420mAh battery, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and wireless charging but above all else, the smartphone’s rear PureView camera may be the deciding factor for many buyers. The Icon features a 20-megapixel sensor with optical stabilization, an f/2.4 Zeiss lens and two LED flashes. Four microphones are said to capture top-quality audio when recording 1080p videos at 30 frames per second.

Verizon is now accepting pre-orders for the handset in white and black which will launch on February 20. Expect to pay $200 with a two-year service agreement.

Permalink to story.

Hard to be excited about any Windows Phone with WP8.1 right around the corner (at least its BUILD announcement).

Hard to be excited about any Windows Phone with WP8.1 right around the corner (at least its BUILD announcement).
Cant see why. These phones will most definitely be upgradeable to WP 8.1. Its a fantastic phone at a great price, what more could you want?

@tree
As far as I know, MS supports upgrades for WP handsets for 18 months period, which is decent, but I think they should extend it to at least 24 months. With most new highend smartphones are shipped with 2GB of RAM, it shouldn't be a problem IMHO.

Hahaha. Yeah I get that this is expensive but for what it is offering versus other phones in its sector, it is a fantastic deal.
If I really wanted a device like this, I'd save for 3-4 months, buy it cash so that it's mine outright, then I'd choose a carrier of my choice and go prepaid. If that carrier annoyed me I could easily switch to another one. It's how I operate anyway. BUT...
If I decided to go with a contract at $200 a month, at the end of the period I would've blown $4800 bucks and then some on what? Some lousy device that was already on it's way to obsolescence... Don't get me wrong, I do like the phone in this article and wouldn't mind owning it but I'd never EVER dream of spending 200 bucks a month on ANY phone contract. It's sheer madness as far as I'm concerned. I've got other things to waste my money on. But hey... That's just me.

Back