Verizon: first 4G LTE-only phones to arrive in late 2014

Shawn Knight

Staff member

verizon lte- lte

By the end of next year, Verizon Wireless will offer smartphones that only work on their 4G LTE network. It’s an attractive proposal as such a handset could potentially be lighter, thinner and cheaper than existing models due to the fact that it wouldn’t need to carry multiple cellular radios but there are still some hurdles that need to be overcome before a 4G-only phone can become a reality.

The nation’s largest wireless provider (by subscriber) noted on Thursday that they have reached their 500th 4G LTE market and have virtually wrapped up the rollout. There are only a handful of markets left to blanket with 4G technology which should be done by the end of the year.

Before Verizon can flip on the 4G-only switch, however, they must first get their voice service to run on 4G, a process known as VoLTE (voice over LTE). Verizon at one point teased the idea of launching VoLTE by the end of this year but according to chief network officer Nicki Palmer, they wanted to iron out the kinks to ensure a stable and reliable service before launch.

When the time is ready, the switch to VoLTE will happen all at once – not a staggered rollout like with 4G LTE. At that time, customers will be able to take advantage of better call quality and added data services that are said to be paired with voice, Palmer said.

Permalink to story.

Voice Over LTE? You mean, they might, now in 2013, FINALLY improve cell phone call quality? Phones have gone from wired to wireless to cellular to smartphones in my life time, but we still have to use words to stand for letters when talking to someone on the phone. A as in Apple, B as in Bravo etc.

Funny too... they're not improving quality for the sake of improving quality, they're doing it to make the phone a little thinner.

I guess none of you have Verizon.... The only people who have negative things to say about Verizon fall into one of the following categories:
1. Broke
2. Bad Credit
3. Sprint Customer
4. Unable to understand basic contractual agreements; For example, they received a bill higher than the advertised rate after they used 80GB of internet and downloaded 100 apps when all they had was a basic internet plan.

Other than that, the majority of other cell phone customers would prefer to switch.. I can't wait for VoLTE.... But then again I am a Verizon customer...

I used say bad things about Verizon until I got them now I laugh at how terrible T-Mobile is;)

Back