Very strange problem which led it to fried mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello guys, first time user here:
i have a kt3 ultra mobo with amd cpu, i don't think full specs of the system will help(unless you think so)
well for a while now it hasn't been responsive, as in when i pressed the on button it doesn't do anything, it takes many tries until it fires up. if i leave it in the power connected it's fine, starts first time everytime but it's only when i disconnected it and come back e.g day later that it does this. now it's just not turning on no power no nothing
...so i decided to check few things and disconnected parts like hd, video, ram and still no power... i've tested my psu and its working
i also took out the mobo onto the carpet and tried to start it that way but nothing.. the fan doens't even move half a cm any more..
also one of the capacitors near the cpu is slightly curved, could that be it??
or is my mobo actually fried
thank you heaps, in advanced
jack
p.s i'm bit sleepy atm so i hope that made sense, cheers

How did you test the power supply? Did you use it in another computer, or did you use a power supply tester.
It sounds like a power supply problem. They can look good and act bad if one rail is gone.
One round capacitor is not a sign of anything... is it puffy, and bulging on top? Is it split open or leaking.

also one of the capacitors near the cpu is slightly curved
Means it's going to blow! eventually (well Raybay says it's ok)

Some users actually desolder the faulty caps and replace with new ones
But you're better off just getting another Motherboard

That's a new one on me. Never found a relationship, except on one era of motherboard construction... when the capacitors involved were all made by one company. Most of us have seen fried boards from that place in motherboard history.

ohk thanks guys, well i tested my power supply by bridging the black and green wire and then i used a volt meter to see the power output through all the wires and there pumpin out 5 and 12v i could use another psu if u think it its worth a try....

as for the capacitor thier is no bulging, swelling or any brown colour. i wouldnt mind giving the soldering a go becuase this isn't my main computer and its not a new mobo. but is this what could be causeing the no power to the motherboard?? i though these just affect the running anywho

what if i slice the green and black wire and hook up a switch to that thing and that way its a direct switch, could this work? or is it risky dangerous
cheers,jack

forgot to mention, the capacitor itself isn't curved.... think of it as one leg is shorter than the other or like leaning tower of pizza. the capacioter itself looks like it's in good condition.

What is stopping you from borrowing another power supply to test your system, or just installing a new power supply now.

I would not want to comment on your wiring scheme without actually seeing the power supply.

A replacement will test everything, and will always be good for another go on another computer.

What you describe is typical. Most are installed by machine and you will frequently find one that slipped. If it is ruggedly fixed, it is likely ok.

ok i pulled out and tested another psu and no go not even the twitch from the fan and nothing apart from cpu,video and ram is connected
so what now?
also i though the psu wiring to the mobo was the same everywhere, the plug that has 20pins

The extra pins (4pins) are really to power up any PCI Express or addon Video Card. Although some power up without it anyway.

If you have an addon PCI or AGP card you may want to test with it out.
Actually you really should bench test your whole system board.

I wouldn't be putting in any switch, and what you said about the caps seem to say they're actually ok, so disregard all that.

If your M/B has 24 Pins you really should test with a 24Pin Power Supply to be sure it's not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back