Very strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got no idea where to start troubleshooting with this one. since so many things are affected, it could be anything :S

problem:
randomly when running a game or application my computer gets all messed up
symptons: (all simultaneously)
I lose my internet connection
sound gets all messed up (becomes very jittery and a bit cracking)
overal performance gets jittery, even in windows after closing app/game

i got to reboot my comp to get rid of it.

I had this problem for a while now, but it only happened very rarely but yesterday I started playing team fortress 2 and now i get this problem every time i run the game after 5/10 minutes... making the game unplayable

any input will be greatly appriciated!

system specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 6000+
GPU: Radeon 2900XT
MB: M2R32-MVP
Sound: X-fi Elite Pro
memory: 4x 1gb GeIL ddr2 800mhz
PSU: Corsair HX1000, 1kw psu

i disabled every background program i could, then started playing again and it played for about 30 mins without problems then it happened again

I then opened the case and checked all components temp, i don't have a thermometer for it but it seemd to me that my memory got extremely hot... hotter than my hd2900xt so it's at least 70c

any chance this kind of stuff could happen because my memory is overheating?

Hey download SensorsView Gives you some temperatures!

But yes it could be the memory! How manys slots do you have and how many slots are filled?

70C is too hot for memory modules.
You have good equipment and high quality memory.
Case fans will probably not help much.
I would buy or borrow an infrared thermometer gun. They run about $25 5o $30 on up to $100 and $200. But a simple one will read the actual temperature on those modules... and elsewhere.

ok i got myself a IR thermometer, ordered a Thermaltake cyclo memory cooler as well.

results: (under load, side panel off)

cpu: 47c
gpu: 59c
memory: 46c (with cyclo)
psu: 44c
chipset: 64c !!!

the metal on top of my hd2900 is coming in direct contact with the chipsets heatsink :S

i haven't had the problem since i installed the memory cooler but havent been able to play that long... the chipset temperature was hotter than anything else in the system..

anyone knows what temperature a chipset should be able to handle?

chipset: - AMD 580X CrossFire Chipset+ATI™ SB600

The CPU should be able to handle 68C, depending on what you have.
Many systems we work on idle at 64C without ill effects.
These have always seemed very hot to me, but they keep on going.
Just be sure you have a first class CPU heat sink and fan, and replace the fan every three years. I recommend Zalman as a good set...
It helps to have a good, large bladed case fan to keep air moving out of the case, as long as it is a very quiet one.

I know this is a pain and a time consumer, but be thinking about a reformat and reinstall.
First, I would consider the video card and its driver.
If you have not replaced thermal past between CPU and heat sink, consider that... but remember too thick is every bit as bad as too little. You want to have thermal paste that has not dried up so it maintains a contact between the cpu and the heatsink. Too much acts like an insulator.
In the past week, we have seen those same symptoms caused by an unused sound card and an unused modem.
Tracking this down is always difficult. Keep good notes so you remember all that you did.
My main suspect now is your current video card... if you can trade briefly for another...
Also, download the latest video graphics driver, then disable or remove the old driver and reinstall the video driver.
Infestations are always a suspect. I would scan your system with MBAM MalwareBytes and SuperAntispyware, and Adaware 2008. Download and run CCleaner. Download and run the TrendMicro free version of HiJackThis and send us the log if you suspect any trouble there.
keep us informed.
There will be a day soon when you figger it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back