Very Strange Sound Problem

So I have a very weird problem with my laptop (Acer Aspire E15) and sound and I'm unsure if it is a result of hardware or malware issues.

Sound does not work on the inbuilt speakers (Realtek).
Sound does not work though headphones.
Sound does not work though speakers (plugged in with USB and audio jack)
Sound works with USB headset with sound prioritised to it.
Both the speakers, headphones and inbuilt speakers say they are functioning correctly on the control panel, none are mute and all the levels are correct, volume is high.

The reason Malware is suspected slightly is that this failing of sound devices happened gradually and subtly. First it was the inbuilt speakers, and that was okay because I would still use headphones and my speakers, then headphone audio started to distort (nothing wrong with the headphones, tried multiple pairs that worked fine with my phone) and then they did not work anymore, and finally my plugged in speakers stopped working (speakers work with phone, nothing wrong with them) Although, I have Norton 360 and have run full system scans and the power eraser, all of which have come up clean.

If its a hardware issue with the inbuilt speakers I don't mind, but I just want to get me headphones and plugged in speakers to work again.

I am running: Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i5

Help is very much appreciated, I go back to school soon and I desperately need working sound.
thanks for your time.
S

Back