VGA difficulties

steven0

Formatted the computer awhile ago, never got the VGA driver working (laggy graphics look). I've installed numerous graphics drivers from a nvidia and random installation discs. Ripping my hair out, I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks very much if you can help...

Running XP Pro SP2 (with system restore)
Video card: GF4 MX 440 64MB DDR TV-OUT
ROB N88TG - 64D
SERIAL: 3020388000400

CPU: AMD SEMPRON 2500 (ATHLON PROCESSOR 1.75GHZ)
M/BOARD: JETWAY
MODEL NAME: N2PAP-ULTRA
S/N: 55669Y076568

RAM: BRAND UNKNOWN - 256MB

POWER SUPPLY:
EAGLE
MODEL NO. D-B350ATX
ATX350W

When it's not a really new card WindowsXP update will find a driver for it.

Are you sure it's a Nvidia chip?

Have you installed sp3 and the latest update's for XP?

Yes, forgot to mention its a NVidia GeForce4 MX-440 ( well as the boot-up screen says) I'll have to check whether SP3 is installed, I know that XP SP2 is installed from windows updates. It's a prehistoric graphics card, can't seem to find updates for it in device manager as such.

When I try to install the specific driver for it from NVidia (given by one of their support guys) it extracts and installs its files in a NVidia folder, but when it comes to actually installing itself, it freezes at the 5-10 minute mark or halfway. Tried this several times.

Probably your MOBO isn't compatible with your VGA. Try to insert another vga just to try the compatibility

A Geforce MX440 should be recognized by WinXP update's.

I see on the Nvidia site 2 drivers for your card.
1 with and 1 without AGP8x, maybe you should try both of those drivers and see of 1 will work.

Probably your MOBO isn't compatible with your VGA. Try to insert another vga just to try the compatibility

It's been the one VGA for the last... ten years :) . I've enabled Windows Updates to automatically update and download, so we'll see how that goes. 2 drivers, sounds great! COuld you post the links up?

This is what showed up before the driver cleaning:
hsvtig.jpg

And this is after I've cleaned out all the NVidia (don't know if it's a good thing):
2difzmr.jpg

So I'll trouble shoot that single problem if everything goes well. And now the driver won't/doesn't need installing?
152l2pu.jpg

You uninstalled one of your chipset drivers. Your graphics driver won't install until it is reinstalled.

Back