Video capture card info

I have Power Director DE 8.0 on a HP computer that I recently purchased and have a question. I’m not able to capture videotaped footage from a Sony mini-digital camcorder via a connection cable. In other words, there's nowhere for the cable to connect into the computer tower.

Presently, there are no slots to receive the cable carrying the “video” feed from the camcorder. I’ve been told that I need a capture card to actually transfer footage from the camcorder onto my computer. Presently, the footage is on a mini-DV videotape.

Thank you in advance.

Anthony Arno

Had this problem a few years ago with a JVC video camera, and did buy a capture card to get the footage on the pc. But thinking about this now, I would have tried a different approach, which might work, although much depends on what other kit you have. It might be possible to connect your camera to 'composite' input sockets on a DVD recorder. Play the video camera, record onto DVD, then use that disc in your PC. It will be in .vob format, but easily converted to any other format in 'Format factory'. (.vob to any of .avi, mp4, .wmv). 'Format factory' is a free download. Then you can edit it in your software.
*Note I have not tried this way but it's free if you have a DVD recorder.

camera to PC is frequently done using USB cable, frequently unique to the camera
(ie not an A-A or A-B style USB, so order it from the OEM).

Back