Video card causing blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the middle of playing BF2, yes I'm an old school gamer ;) and the screen looked like it got hit by a rock and froze. I turned off the computer and then it kept going to a blue screen or no screen at all. Every once in awhile I was able to make it to safe mode and I tried downloading the latest drivers for the NVidia card but still kept getting a blue screen. I can run with out the video card and use onboard graphics but then I can't play my one video game I like to play. It's less than a year old but now probably only about $100 to replace but I would like to keep from replacing it if it's possible I am missing something. If anyone knows any possible solutions I would appreciate it. I have not really installed any other software recently that might have interfered.

What error message does the blue screen say? Any file names mentioned?

If the graphics card is bad and if it's less than a year old, it is probably still under warranty and you can return it to the manufacturer for replacement. You will have to request an RMA (returned merchandise authorization) first and pay to ship it there but it will be a lot less than $100.

From what I can tell the blue screen doesn't have error messages. It's more just a couple paragraphs saying check your graphics card, install the latest driver. From the searches I saw online it looked totally different, no codes with lots of 0's just written information. It's definetely something to do with graphics card since the computer works with out it, but I would think if the graphics card was 100% gone the computer would never even get to windows safe mode. I made a request for repair to Nvidia, but don't really want to wait for a few weeks to possibly find out the card is just fine.

It doesn't have to be 100% gone to be defective and needing replacement. Do you have another PC you can test it in?

Hey, I use to play BF2 alot, until my trial version of it was expired and I had to uninstall since it is useless now unless if I register a copy of it. I play BF 1942 now, is still good as BF2 but crappier graphics, that's about it to me. Has no trial which is good! Ordered from the shops.
What is the manufacturer of your graphics card? In other words, what brand is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back