Virtual memory being taken up by unknown processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

donsdg

There seem to be multiple unknown processes that is hogging my virtual memory. For instance, when I start my computer, it takes forever to start. And then it will not open up any application. When I try to show processes from all users, it takes at least 30 minutes to open up. My system configuration has 3GB RAM so it shouldn't take this long.

Also, there seems to be this file mySQLd.exe which seems to hog memory for the most part. Shutting this down does not impact my compter in any way but frees up memory. Apart from this, there is this program httpd.exe which has two processes running. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\apache\bin. The date on this file says "created 9/21/2007" but my computer was purchased in April 2009.

There are other programs like dwm.exe and I have no idea what these are.

Additionally, there was an admin user created called RA Admin user. I deleted this user and all files associated with this user. I have no idea where this user came from and how it became an admin user on my machine.

This may be malware or viruses, but I am not sure.

Pls help!!!

Are you sure you mean Virtual memory?

It appears you have delected some processes you actually need. You may have to run your Dell Windows disk in repair mode to patch the problem.

My CPU usage was at 100%. I guess that equates to virtual memory, doesn't it? Physical memory is at ~ 50%.

The only thing I have deleted is the RA Admin user, which was running some programs called php.exe. I have all other files, and shutting down the process improves performance on my machine, but doesn't impact it negatively any other way (I am typing this out, and performance is completely fine).

I can run Windows in repair mode, but I am afraid that I will infect the CD itself ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back