Virtually all US visa applications could require five years of social media details

midian182

Staff member

The State Department has proposed that almost everyone looking to obtain a US visa must submit five years of social media handles. The rules would apply to almost all applicants for immigrant and non-immigrant visas, affecting nearly 15 million people.

Handing over social media information as part of the visa application process was initially suggested in 2015, just weeks after the San Bernardino shooting. A year later, the Department of Homeland Security started requesting that certain foreign travelers—those identified for extra scrutiny—hand over their social media details when visiting the US. This had been a voluntary request; visitors would not be denied entry into the country if they refused.

In the notices set for formal publication today, the government will list social media platforms and require virtually all visa applicants, including those applying for legal permanent residency, to “provide any identifiers used by applicants for those platforms during the five years preceding the date of application.”

The application will also ask for previous telephone numbers, email addresses, prior immigration violations, and any family history of involvement in terrorist activities. The State Department said the only exceptions to these rules would be those applying for diplomatic and official visas.

CNN notes that the Trump administration still isn’t requiring visa applicants hand over their social media passwords, though that is something then-Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly last year said was being considered.

The public has 60 days to comment on the proposal once it is filed to the Federal Register today.

Permalink to story.

jobeard

WHAT A CROCK! We left AirBnB for similar reasons - - no social media accounts and the misguided notion that everyone has one or more AND that identity can be verified using same. I'll just keep our passports current and bypass this stupidity.

VBRO & Homeaway have proven to be more reliable to us as a result.

Danny101

A background check would suffice. No way would I give my info to another country. So much for seeing the world, where no trust exist. You want in , we must count every hair on your head. Not a good world to live in.

Footlong

I really don't understand who they are planning to catch. It's not like a terrorist is going to post it's beliefs and plans on Facebook and Instagram.

wiyosaya

I really don't understand who they are planning to catch. It's not like a terrorist is going to post it's beliefs and plans on Facebook and Instagram.
IMO, what they are really saying is that they do not know what to do, so let's do something . It makes it look like they are doing something so that those who do not see the fallacy of this move will think something is getting done and say, Great Move! We will vote you in again next time.

As I see it, there is no guarantee that social media accounts would be in the immigrant's real name anyway, so how could anything like this be possibly verified. However, I can see the reasoning behind this as something like "everyone has a social media account these days, let's get a clue from those accounts about who we should let in." Nothing short of brain-dead in this, IMO.

Yet another feign at being a real government from a bunch of fakers - and I think this probably would have come no matter who is in office.

J spot

Not everyone has the internet (outside of the US) or social media, so it would not be fair. But how good would it be if those responsible from handing out Visa could see five years of people who throw around gang signs when they take pictures and other moronic stuff that says a lot about their level of maturity. At the same time being able to see people who care more about their schooling, and things like that.

captaincranky

Who even wants to move to the US? XD
The country has gone to pot.
Well no. Marijuana is only legal in a few states, and still illegal in federal statutes.

BTW, you sound like someone we could do without.

If all you can see is the bad, who needs yet another whiner here.

Who even wants to move to the US? XD
The country has gone to pot.
Well no. Marijuana is only legal in a few states, and still illegal in federal statutes.

BTW, you sound like someone we could do without.

If all you can see is the bad, who needs yet another whiner here.
Looks like you see 'bad' at every turn and yet there you are in the midst of it all. The Trump intelligence level is rampart in the US.

captaincranky

Looks like you see 'bad' at every turn and yet there you are in the midst of it all. The Trump intelligence level is rampart in the US.
Gosh, one post here and the next thing you know, you're giving me IQ tests over the web, and trying to claim intimate knowledge of what my values and beliefs are..

My retort to, "the country has gone to pot" remark, should have very obviously been interpreted by you as the sarcastic pun it was intended to be.

As for "the Trump mentality", he has some points which would no doubt rub some uber liberal snowflake SJW the wrong way.

So now, let's both have a look inward at your self imagined superiority complex....Oh, look at that, one post by you, and I feel I know all about you as well.

Since the USA is, in your words, "bad all around", why not emigrate to somewhere nice, like North Korea. I also hear Darfur is nice this time of year. Send me a postcard, (of course that's assuming their postal service is up and running). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Darfur

Also, you might have your next vacation in Syria .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Civil_War

Or maybe Bangladesh during the rainy season....there are so many options for a critic of the USA. What to choose, where to go?

Last edited:

EClyde

Not everyone has the internet (outside of the US) or social media, so it would not be fair. But how good would it be if those responsible from handing out Visa could see five years of people who throw around gang signs when they take pictures and other moronic stuff that says a lot about their level of maturity. At the same time being able to see people who care more about their schooling, and things like that.
I only care what's "fair" to US citizens

Reactions: captaincranky

andy06shake

Tell you this, if Trump was a foreign national, he would not be getting in if his Twitter debacle is anything to go by. ;)

IAMTHESTIG

I understand the desire to vet the incoming immigrants, but unfortunately it won't fix the problem. Terrorists or sympathizers are either not active on social media, or may have alternate aliases for which they will most certainly not share during the immigration process. That being said, every country (not just the US) has EVERY damn right to ask for whatever information they deem necessary of someone they are considering for immigration.