Virus disabling other antivirus software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I've had my computer since February 2009, and it's been, well let's say, not too great.

In October or so, I received a virus that, at first, caused antivirus programs to stop working. At the time I had Norton 360 and MBAM, which both stopped working. Then, programs I used the most stopped working. Safari at first, then I resorted to Firefox, then lastly Internet Exlporer. I booted into safe mode with networking. Everything worked fine, programs loaded and everything, but antivirus programs still didnt. I lived in safe mode for around a month and a half until I sent my computer to Geeksquad. They then sent it to HP to basically restore my laptop to factory settings, and then Geeksquad removed the infected files and registry keys.

I recieved my laptop January 10th.

When I play xbox live, I use my laptop as a router, and use an ethernet cable to connect my xbox to my laptop. I noticed I started lagging on xbox live, but my connection on my computer said I still had 5/5 bars. So, I just rebooted. When Norton started up, I received a notification saying "Intrusion protection is off, turn on now?" So I did, and hit apply, and it just switched right back off. So I went onto Symantec Support, and it told me to remove Norton using the Norton Uninstaller. However, I had a 60 day trial, and cannot install it again. I tried running MBAM, but when I tried opening it, two windows popped up. The first saying "runtime error '0'" and the second saying "Run-time error '440': Automation error." Now what is peculiar is, the second window's "title" if you will, (the name at the top of the window, on the same line as the maximize and 'X' buttons)is "Malware-Bytes Antimalware". However, the first window's "title" says "vbAccelerator SGrid II Cont.. and so on, I cannot read the rest. This may not be significant, but it just seems..weird. Also, windows defender is disabled and out of date, and firewall is turned off.

So! Currently I am without any working antivirus software. I went onto mcafee and downloaded both the Klez and Bugbear removal tools, the results showed up negative. So now I have no idea what to do.

ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: I am so sorry, I completely didn't think to do the 8 steps and I am currently doing so. I am running Windows Vista Home Premiuim on an HP G60 235DX Notebook.

"I am so sorry, I completely didn't think to do the 8 steps and I am currently doing so"...

This is a good start :)

I just did all eight steps...

Avira showed nothing, but removed two tracking cookies.
SuperAntiSpyware also removed two cookies but nothing else.
I cannot run MBAM, as stated above.

Here are my logs..

Also, while trying to write the Hijackthis log, a window popped up stating there was a problem while trying to write the log. All I had to do was run as admin, but it was still weird. And hey, every detail counts I guess.

Attachments

• SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-28-2010 - 00-20-39.log
    454 bytes · Views: 2
  • hijackthis.log
    10 KB · Views: 2
Yep! All is well, Avira loaded fine, MBAM loaded fine, and everything else. Windows defender didnt automatically disable itself, and so on.

Thank you so much! You're truly great.

If something like this occurs again, should I just run ComboFix, or should I consult someone first like I am told to?

If something like this occurs again, should I just run ComboFix, or should I consult someone first like I am told to?

You should not have been given a site, no instructions and your Combofix report not checked.

For some reason, this member thinks this is all it takes, then people thank him!

Kiwikev816, had the helper open your Combofix report, if he had known what to look for, he would have seen the you ran it with all of your security on and that you are running Hitman in the background.

You have malware and have not been cleared of it.

I have referred this thread to the site owner.

Kiwikev816,
sometimes all it takes is to run Combofix, but it is important to disable any running antivirus, firewalls or other malware programs before running Combofix in order for Combofix to work properly. it is also wise to delete temp files and sometimes to turn off System Restore, turn it back on and set a new clean restore point after running Combofix... Bobbye is never satisfied... which may be a good thing

Don't give me that never satisfied crap Tmagic! If you knew how the give the Combofix directions-without copying the directions I set up, the member would clearly see the instructions to disable all security.

Instead, you refer them to a site, give no instructions, don't even ask for the report let alone check it, then ask if they're running okay and say goodbye! One member even asked if he should have just run Combofix and not bothered to come here for your reply!

Deleting restore points and temporary files is entirely separate- something you also fail to instruct the members to do!

How can you have the nerve to even sign on to this board?

Bobbye, a lot of these "redirects" are easily fixed by running Combofix, whether you like it or not. Your mystical holier than god attitude will not change this fact

"Deleting restore points and temporary files is entirely separate"...

I never said they were not separate. These are things that should be done on every Windows computer from time to time, especially after serious infections

"How can you have the nerve to even sign on to this board?"...

I have as much or more right to be here as you do...

"One member even asked if he should have just run Combofix and not bothered to come here for your reply!"...

members have told me many times how much they appreciate my help. You can't please everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back