Virus from facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me here.

I was sent a notification email from facebook to say that a friend of mine had joined a group (if 100,000 people join i will show my boobs) and it was inviting me to join. I clicked on the group and there was a weblink with a .zip file. Now I feel really stupid because i clicked on the link and actually tried to open the zip file. Bad move, I don't know what possessed me. The thought of boobs probably!

Anyway since then things have happened progressively. At first it just shut down all my programs and then the computer rebooted. And then rebooted again. and again. There was a moment where a msg came up saying a program was trying to close. If I didn't close it the computer would stay on but when browsing no gif's or pictures would load unless i right clicked and selected show picture.

I pulled the network cable from the port on the back of the machine and rebooted the computer. It worked normally until I plugged the network back in. Then all the rebooting started again.

I found this website and thought I would join and ask the question. However to join I had to go through a few steps and the computer was getting worse and worse.

Finally now it only starts in safe mode. If I start in normal mode it just reboots and reboots. Windows doesn't even finish loading now. Even in safe mode, if I start with networking and go to say google for example, the moment I try to type something it closes the window.

I then pulled that hard drive out and switched back to an older one to get back online and post this thread.

What can I do if anything?

What is this, a virus or something else? I have a copy of the zip file if needed.

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

Too me it sounds like a virus got through, my advice to you would be get a Anti-Virus Software, something quick and free would be AVG which you can download, just let it scan and see what it comes up with.

ShoeGirl:blush:

Heres what I would do.
Start > Run> CMD
Type in TASKLIST
Write down all processes that arent yours or windows related.
Kill them with TASKKILL /IM *THREAD NAME* /t /f
/t kills the tree its in, what made it and so fourth. /f forces it to die.
Taskkill /pid *tasks pid* /t /f also works well

Then delete everything in C:\temp and your documents and settings local temp. (its a hidden folder)

Do a search on the file names of the virus/bogus files (edit) that were running, and delete them. copy a file, any file, with the same name and extension into the place where they were. In CMD, in their directory, use ATTRIB *filename/ext* +R +H +S to give the file Read Only, Hidden, System File attributes. Now it cant regenerate itself which they often do.

I joined because I had received the same virus. I tried to follow agissi's steps, but when I try running cmd, it says "choose the program you want to open this file". What's up with this?

Yeah they often bug out cmd and/or task manger. Try using COMMAND rather than CMD, or directly execute cmd in C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe .

on the bottom of my sig click on the malware removal guide follow the steps then post back with the 3 logs.

combofix
hijackthis
superantispyware

boobies lol nice

Well, this one appears to have bugged out every .exe program I have. I tried installing Hijackthis and things like that, but it won't let the programs run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back