Virus on pen drive making it write protected

hitech0101

I have 4gb pendrive it is infected with some virus which is making it write protected & unable to use it.I am unable to format it so far i have to tried different things:
1.Tried formatting it on linux.
2.Tried different tools like neo9,hddformatter,jetflash,hpusbtool & a few more.
3.There is another way of changing registry values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro\StorageDevicePolicies but i am unable to find that registry key (using win7 64bit ultimate).
4.Tried antivirus it detects the threat but unable to clear it out.
5.Tried cmd & then a variety of methods to format/partition but no use.
6.Also tried computer management with same message "the drive is write protected".

Now i have run out of options but i am amazed how none of the above methods have worked,already spent 2 hours searching for a solution but unable to find one.
Please someone help me i want my pen drive back.

A bit difficult for me to fathom this being a virus issue if even formatting it in linux isn't possible. Are you sure it's not as simple as a lock switch toggled on?

i am sure there is a virus because there are some files on the pen drive & i used a virtual machine to run linux then i tried to format the drive but still i get write protected.

Thanks for helping but i am now facing a new problem the pen drive is detected but windows say the drive has to be formatted before use but when i try formatting the message appears that it is write protected.I was was trying to fix it but it seems i have made matters worse.

take the thumbdrive to ANY other system and format it there; heck, you can even use
Mac or Linux (format as VFAT32)

And don't do it in a linux VM on that machine you're having a hard time doing it from.

This is a common problem with failing flash drives. I think the most likely explanation is you had/have an infected file on the drive, but it also recently developed some separate, physical issues.

Coincidences do happen. Perhaps more frequently than they should with computers. :)

I know people are under the impression that flash storage is reliable, but that property certainly doesn't extend to most of the USB flash drives out there.

Thanks for helping guyz.I have handed over the drive to a service center they have offered to replace the drive.

Back