Vista 64-bit will not load up after it said I had unauthorized OS

Evabraun2000

Alright I have a custom pc with the i7920, x58 motherboard, sli gts 250, 6g ddr3, cant remember the harddrive name...well the os came from a older computer that i sold but kept the harddrive for my new build...and ive had this build for about a year now...but about 4 or 5 months ago it said my os was like an unauthorized version to were my serial numbers you put into it to make it right was incorrect...as a lazy american it really didnt cause any problems so i was like who cares all my programs work everythings fine so no need to do anything...well now im sitting here trying to turn on my pc and it loads normal at first and stops at my drmos screen with like the options to go into bios setup here it normally just flashes up and loads windows, but now its just stops here then goes and says select a boot device...so i was like maybe somehow my harddrive wasnt selected for this option...so i went into bios and the only option it gives me for booting up is my cd/dvd drive so now im a little worried since i have like 500$ in games on there and all my school work...So if anyone has any ideas what this is or what i should do tell me...i really dont want to have to buy a new operating system for this bullshit excuse my language.

WORLDS LONGEST RUN ON lol....................................

The old OS, was it a retail copy you purchased for your PC, seperately from a store, or was it supplied when you purchased your old computer?

If it was supplied by the manufacturer of your old PC, its not meant to be running on your new one, and the warning is in fact true. You need to order a new copy, and then maybe you can repair the install using the new product key. You also can't use one single license on two computers, so you should have either sold your old computer without the copy of Windows, or sold it with it, and got a new one yourself. If its manufacturer supplied (Dell/Acer etc) it should have gone to your old pcs new older as its no use on another computer anyway).

I take it you have no backups? Maybe a lesson to be learnt there if thats the case.

Some grammar and punctuation would work wonders as well. :haha:

yea i know =(...it was supplied when purchased with my old computer...i mean i can still take my harddrive out and back it up now i do it all the time at work...RIGHT?

lol lets not get picky with our grammar here >=(

blah screw it im gonna wipe it and buy windows 7

hmmm i didnt know you couldnt use an os from an older pc...good to know now...i want you to all feel my sarcasm lol

yea i know =(...it was supplied when purchased with my old computer...i mean i can still take my harddrive out and back it up now i do it all the time at work...RIGHT?

Then you have no rights to use it on your current computer, and in fact do have in effect, an illegal copy currently running.

You can re-use retail purchased versions of Windows on other computers, but not manufacturer supplied Windows, as its licensed to the manufacturter as an OEM install, not retail version.

lol lets not get picky with our grammar here >=(

This is a forum, and the primary means of communication is via written text. Most people would read the first couple of lines and then stop reading.

The clearer the English (and the better the grammar and punctuation) the easier it is for another person to read your post, and then be in a position to advise you further.

I wouldn't say it's being picky, more common sense than anything. ;)

well i actually just had a thought...i still have that same build at my cousins house he just has a new harddrive on it...is it possible to put the harddrive back into my old pc then back it up?

I also do have a windows boot disk at work could that possibly give me a time of window to get my programs/school work off my pc?????

yea yea just pickin lol im typing angrily on this right now lol

Your first idea won't work unless you format the hard disk, and its all pointless as your in your current predicament because of that anyway.

To be clearer; you need a brand new retail copy of Windows, or shop purchasable OEM copy (has to be purchased with hardware), to install Windows. There might be other options, like maybe your workplace has a multiple license copy of Windows for work use, but unless you have the disk and a new (and genuine) product key your just going to go from one problem to the next.

Just get a new retail copy and do a recovery and it'll probably be fine. Its spent all this time asking you for a genuine product key, which could have avoided all of this for you, had you taken heed of the warnings.

Back