Vista file sharing between computer & laptop - help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I've purchased a new laptop today and I am trying to hook it up with my main computer in the house in order to file share and also have printer sharing.

I have set up the wireless connection on the laptop and I can access the internet on my laptop but the problem I am having is accessing the files on my main computer via the laptop.

If I look at the networks on my main computer it lists the main computer and also the laptop. if I click on the laptop in the network folder a box comes up asking a user name and password but I don't know what to put in the box. Likewise, via the laptop, I can "see" both the computer and laptop in the Network folder under "My Computer" when I try to click onto the main computer to look at the files there it comes up with a box saying "Network Error...Windows cannot access..COMPUTERNAME".

How do I set up the network so I can see the files on either laptop or home computer?

Thanks in advance

Is file sharing enabled on the XP machine? When XP asks for user name and pass to get into the Vista box, you put the name of your Vista account and its password there. That will get you to the shares on the Vista machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back