Vista Install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

A friend gave me their computer to look at. It is really messed up, I try a repair and it won't do it says everything is ok, then at the end says "registry is corrupt". He says their is nothing really important on it so I decide to do a fresh install. Once it gets part way through it says can't update registry. Why would it say that? I formatted the drive so there is absolutely nothing on it and did a clean install. It now says "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows restart the installation".

Tried a clean Windows 7 install as well. Guessing it might be hardware related. Any guesses on if it would be hard drive or ram?

I eventually go it to work. I used Windows 7 boot disk and made one big drive. Everything runs well now except that the sticker on the computer says it is 160gb hard drive and I am only showing 80. What do you guys think?

I think, for what it is worth, that you may have installed the OS into two partitions on the same drive.
Have a look in Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management and this will show you the drives present and what partitions are installed.
Tell us what you see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back