Vista Memory Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooHellfire

Okay, I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows Ultimate and recently (in just the last few days) added 2 more Gigs of memory to my system. I was originally running 2GB and increased to 4GB. I have a 'gadget' in the sidebar that tells me what my current usage is on both cores of my processor and the memory usage. At 2GB it was always hovering between 30%-40% and doesn't seem to have changed much with the additional ram. Two questions come up. Shouldn't I notice a signifcan't drop with the system running 4GB of ram? Also, I'm thinking the gadget may be in error. Where would I look in Vista to see current memory usage as a percentage? Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I thought it was something like that. I'm just hoping that Vista lets go of some of that. I upgraded the ram in preparation for another upgrade to be able to play games on the pc. I will be putting in a 9600GT once it arrives from Amazon and I'd hate to think I upgraded the ram for nothing. Thanks again!

You didn't. Vista is preloading that stuff so your frequently used apps load faster, and without doing scientific tests I can say it works, back when I was playing CoD4 a lot it would launch almost instantly on my comp. But what is happening is it preloads that stuff, but if you launch something that isn't preloaded and it needs more RAM than what is avaiable Vista instantly dumps some of what it had loaded.

If you want to actually see it happen, restart your computer and as soon as you log in launch the task manager, and for a while (up to several minutes possible) you can watch your free RAM decrease, while nothing is visibly launching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back