Vista power plan. how to backup reg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nismo91

hi all

its really tiring, each time i recover my damn computer i have to edit all the power plans according to my needs. since the vista power plan has alot of thing, which is tiring... can i save my life by backing up them?

im sure they are registry values... just that a specific destination to backup would be appreciated... so i dont have to do this process each time i recover my computers.

thanks all.

You don't necessarily have to find the specific registry value, assuming the data is stored in the registry, the easy thing to do would be the next time you recover your pc, set up the power plans, then open up regedit, export the entire registry to a backup file, then save that on a usb stick or similar. Then when you next recover it, you can just replace the registry with the stuff on the usb, and it will replace the power plan stuff.
Remember to use your common sense with this kind of thing though, you probably know how finnicky windows registry can be!

not a good idea to use the ENTIRE registry as a backup -- select the KEY and export it/them would be fine.

if you backup the entire registry, apply any hotfixes or even just install ANYTHING and then restore the registry -- OUCH! you just uninstalled and wiped out the hotfixes.

I've found my Toshiba power profiles at
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies\[0,1,2,3,4,5]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\MUILanguages\RCV2\powercfg.cpl

I'm not at all certain that these are ALL you need or even the correct ones
but it gives you a starting point for investigation

hmm.. i tried 3 of them, but the 3rd one cannot be found...

anyway, im not certain of entire registry backup, as my com is infected by virus. (explained in malware section, its iframe attack). if i cant backup, well i just spend another 10 tiring minutes to configure all of em again.. damn vista...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back