Vista search doesn't work on all applications

secretassasin69

I knowthat this is a bit of a noobish question, but in Vista 32 bit my start search function doesn't return any results for some programs that are installed on the computer. Now i did re-index in control panel but the problem is still there.

The basic search function in Windows in general only does a limited number of file types - typically those it knows how to display. Also the first things it asks you is what type of files do you want to search for, which narrows the search even more.

This is particularly annoying if you know you want specific text, but the file type in which that text occurs is not supported 'natively' in windows.

For this and many other reasons, most knowledgable users don't use windows explorer at all, but something else, like http://www.freecommander.com/

If you would specify the type of files you cannot find, somebody might have a simple answer for you.

At the moment all the programs in ms office do not appear but the ones that have been installed after the rootkit removal do for eample malwarebytes & firefox etc do work.

Possibly the rootkit infection you refer to has removed the windows registry entry which defines what applications should open the files of MS office type. You could prove this by opeining folder options in the control panel and look at the tab 'File types'.

What entry opens DOC,WRI,WPS,XLS, and similar types?. Obviously it should be the MS office software module. If not, or the types are missing, you can just uninstall Office and reinstall it.

now nothing in start search works how ever in explorer searches work pretty well would a win search 4 install work
ps sorry about the extremely late reply i have been trying to find alternatives to this

Back