Vista sees Multiple network connections. I only have one

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Basically ive been having a problem on my Windows Vista machine since installation. I connected it to my router and was browsing the internet near enough straight away but after i restarted there was another network windows was trying to connect to and although lan connections are fine i cannot connect to the internet.

# I have not got wireless so i have ruled this out.
# Disable and Re-Enabling the network device is a quick fix but restarting will only show the other network again.
# I have been searching google for a few days now and have only found the quick fix solution of Disabling and Re-Enabling the device.
# A friend told me to untick IPv6 which i did but still nothing

Is anyone familiar with this problem, its definatly a vista problem as my XP laptop is fine.

what do you mean windows is trying to connect to another network? Does it show the limited or no connectivity. Can you post a picture it would help a lot.

Well under Network and Sharing center i see 2 networks, one private and one public. The connection indicator at the top shows ive connected to the 'network' but the internet is not connected. This additional network comes out of nowhere and when i disable and re-enable the nic this network goes away and all is well. When i restart it is back?

Here is a link to someone else explaining near enough the same problem.

Having the same problem

I'm having the same problem on a Vista machine I'm working on. No wireless is installed on the machine, and there is only one network adapter.

In the hardware profile, there is also only one network adapter showing in the list of devices.

This system was purchased in February 2008, and has been barely used. The only software that has been installed on it is MS Office 2000 and the latest auto-updates for Windows.

Disabling and re-enabling the NIC works for me as well to "band-aid" the problem until the next reboot.

Upon reboot, the network status indicator shows the two monitors indicating LAN connectivity, but the globe icon is missing. When I single-left-click the indicator, it lists two networks: "Network (Secure)" and "Unknown Network (Public)".

When I click the "Diagnose and Repair", the utility says I have two network connections active and that I need to disable one of my connections... But again, there is only one network connection.

It's a Dell computer. On the geek scale of 1-10, I'd say I'm 6-7. Without any disrespect to the good phone techs out there, 9 times out of 10 I find my solutions in spite of phone support. Because I'm not up on Vista, I called Dell support who said it was a problem with my router and they wouldn't help me without elevating to paid support (which I didn't do, of course :p).

Any thoughts or help would be great!

Thanks,
Tim

if you have Bonjour remove it and see if it fixes the problem

Go to [Start > Run] and type the following command and hit OK.
“C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe” –remove
Go to [Start > Run] again and type the following command and hit OK.
regsvr32 /u “C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll”
After you restart, you can safely delete the Bonjour folder without errors.

Status update

Thanks for your ideas Daniel. I ran several virus and spyware scans from verious vendors (in addition to the built-in active security suite that shipped with the machine). Nothing there. I will be back at the machine tomorrow and will try uninstalling the Bonjour. Since you mentioned it, I do recall seeing that he had iTunes installed on the machine.

Tim

Hi,

Eveen I had the same problem, what I did was went to IPV4 uncheck the radio button and saved it. Again went to IPv4 and check the radio button and it worked

But this is a temp soln as i rebooted the vista, the 'unidentified n/w' came again.

So even I, till now, havent got a perm soln

its to do with iTunes, and a program it installs called bonjour. I had to boot into safe mode remove bonjour and boot back into normal mode and it fixed the problem.

recommend disconnecting EVERYTHING and restarting the devices in this order
modem, router, and (still disconnected) the system.

connect the modem to the router and wait 30 seconds

connect the router to the system and wait 30 seconds

launch Network Wizard and recreate the Local Connection,
being sure to specify, I'm Behind a Router, Private LAN.

Let it complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back