Vista SP1 problem

Problemsrbad

Hello, I have my friends dasktop pc here it has Window Vist Home Prem. on it. When I allowd the vista service pack to install, near the end the pc rebooted and got stuck with at a black boot screen with !! 0XC0190036 !! MPengine.dll . Every time I try to boot up I get this. I tryd safe mode and same thing, tryed last known good conf. and still same thing.. I finally downloaded a Vista recovery boot cd and managed to revert back using a system restore. So now im back in the desktop, but how can I solve this Vista service pack 1 problem please?

I would do a thorough check on all your drivers to make sure you have the latest versions and then allow Automatic Update to bring the system up to date. There are many solutions out there on the net if you do a search for it, too many to mention here. The most common problem seems to be caused by old drivers that are not compatible with SP1. You should also switch off firewalls and anti virus when downloading the updates as they can interfere.

Before you enable auto update follow this:

1. Click Start, type: cmd in the Search box then right click on cmd in the pop up and select "run as administrator". In the command window, type net stop WuAuServ and press Enter.
2. Click Start, type: %windir% in the Search box and press Enter.
3. Double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.
4. In the opened folder, rename the folder Download to Download.old.
5. Click Start, type: cmd (do as in 1). In the command window, type net start WuAuServ and press Enter.

Before I do this, I have looked inside the device manager and notice under the Network adapters I see a yellow exclamation on Microsoft 6to4 Adapter. Maybe this could be causing it? Should we fix this before what you stated above?

This might have something to do with the problem.

You need to update your Ethernet adaptor, there should be a make and number listed under the Ethernet adaptor, go to the manufacturers site and get the latest driver and save it to your desktop. Uninstall the old driver and then double click on the new driver and it should install. Reboot and check in Device Manager and see if the yellow warning has gone.

If all is well, switch on Automatic Updates from the Control Panel and leave it to update the PC. There may be some prerequisite updates that are required before SP1 so let the update agent take card of it.

P.S. There is no need to send me PM's, just post in the thread. I receive email notification when posts are made.

well its not my eathernet controller because I just uninstalled the Microsoft 6to4,it is gone now. Then did what you said with the updates download folder. I then allowed the service pack 1 to install again. When it rebooted I had the same problem except it get hung up for an hour at

!! 0xc0190036 !! 572/90883 (MPEngine.dll)

So I restarted with the recovery cd and did a system restore yet again to get back into the desktop. I have no idea what to do now. I can't upgrade to win 7 because the pc only has 1gb ram.

Okay I havnt try to namual download and install. Doing it now. I hope it works. If not looks like I'm going to have to do a upgrade to win 7.

Ok, hope this works. If it does fail bare in mind that SP1 has been around for a long time now, all the original bugs, and there were a few, have been fixed. There will be a reason why this update is failing and it won't be due to the update itself. Something in your system, either an out of date driver or a program that is running in the background will be causing a conflict.

That being said, Windows 7 is far better than Vista in many ways so the change will be a step forward. Make sure you can get Windows 7 compatible drivers for your mobo and all your hardware before you take the plunge. Be sure to use Automatic Updates to fully update the system after the installation. W7 is now on SP1.

Okay, The manuel download and install of SP1 render the same deal. I have Uniblue Driver Scanner 2011, I will use it and update the drivers and try one last time. If it fails Windows 7 here I come!

What do you suggest I use to check if the drivers are Windows 7 compatible? Will the Windows 7 Advisor tell me?

Hmm I noticed somebody moved the thread as well. :p

I did a driver update scan and the only out of date driver is the Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 (my mouse)
Installed version: 6.0.6000.16386
Updated version: 8.0219.0

I have her PC box only here at my house. I am using my mouse,keyboard, ect. on her machine. Updating this driver is not needed as she uses a dirrent mouse. I don't think the mouse driver would effect a Windows Vista SP1 update. What do you think?+

From Windows 7 Advisor:
Update Windows Vista first

Before you can upgrade to Windows 7, you need to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1.

This is the only issue the advisor shows.

First use the link I gave in post 6 to make sure the system is capable of running Windows 7. Then you will know you have the option of using Windows 7. You then need a disc with a valid licence (not used on any other PC) before you can do an upgrade. Then (assuming this is a factory built PC) go to the manufacturer's site and make sure drivers for Windows 7 are available and you can download all of them from there. Windows 7 does include a large number of drivers so you could install it first and then check in Device Manager to see if you need any more, it is likely you will need the chipset drivers.

You are correct about the mouse driver, this would not be the reason SP1 is failing.

The PC's manufacturer's site is the best place to check for driver and bios updates not using Uniblue.

Okay, I will go to dell.com and see about update drivers for this system so I can get this SP1 installed.
5 driver updates from dell.

She has buy Windows 7 home and wants it installed. She brang it to me because it would not upgrade for her. (Must be the SP1 not being installed).

I updated the 5 drivers. turned off anti-virus malware and other. Installed the SP1 again and same deal. Looks like I will have to do a fresh install of Windows 7.

So using gparted, I wont lose any installed programs? What does it take a back up of exactly?

That SP1 problem is a tough one to crack, but windows 7 to the rescue.

Yes, you will lose installed programs but if you use Gparted to create a new partition in unused space on the hard drive you can copy all your important files into the partition. Then you select the other partition to install Windows 7 on. Without the option to perform an upgrade install all your software will have to be reinstalled.

Gparted does not take back ups it just creates partitions.

Back