Vista x64 - Would 2 Program Files (x86) Folders on D:\ Drive Be Functional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phkhgh

Re: The two Vista x64 "Program Files" folders.

I usually don't install programs in the OS drive (C:\). In XP I always created a Program Files folder in D:\

On my new PC w/ Vista Hm Prem x64 there are, or course, 2 separate Program Files folders in C:\.

I've only installed one or 2 small prgms on it & they (so far) seemed to automatically select the folder for 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit folder in C:\.

Question: Will creating 2 Program Files folders on D:\ (naming one "Program Files (x86)" be of any value? Other than if I know some prgms are 64 bit & just want to put them in a separate folder?

OR... are the 2 Prog Files folders only of value or serve some function when in the OS C:\ drive (as far as Windows or the prgms running are concerned)?

Thanks.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_Files

On 64-bit versions of Windows, there are two folder for application files; the %ProgramFiles% folder contains 64-bit programs, and the %ProgramFiles(x86)% folder (called "\Program Files (x86)" on US-English systems) contains 32-bit programs. On Windows NT-based operating systems (NT4, 2000, XP, Vista, etc), the Program Files folders are protected, meaning that only Administrators can change its contents; while this is a more secure solution, it does mean that programs which were accustomed to running as administrator and creating logs or other files in the folder containing the application can not do so when the user is not an administrator, which is increasingly common.

I can't back this up in any way, so take it how you wish...

I don't think it matters at all, I too install programs to D rather than C, and I've never paid attention to the (x86) part in the past (although I haven't used a 64bit OS as my main system, only secondary). What I always have done is just changed C to D and left everything else in the path the same. Never ran into any problems, but then again I use pretty common programs.

So in summary, I don't think it matters at all.

I too cannot believe it would make a difference. Also the mention of 'program files' being protected....unless you are adminstrator level. I don't believe it, although in actual fact, few people ever use their PC's as restricted users even if they should.

(although I haven't used a 64bit OS as my main system,
Thanks, but that may be the key diff. I'm only using Vista x64.

I can just try creating one D:\Program Files (or duplicating 2 folders as in C:) & see if they run, but I thought this would be a very common question.

Though can't see how Vista would do anything special w/ programs installed in D:\Program Files (x86), unless MS programmed in "anytime a prgm is installed in ANY folder w/ "(x86)" on ANY drive, run it as a 32 bit app. I SERIOUSLY doubt they did.

I mean I've ran XP 64 and Windows 7 64bit. And I've installed to D rather than C. But I did as I said and just changed C to D, leaving the remainder of the path the same. Noticed no odd behavior.

I said I didn't do it on my main system as an indicator that I don't use those 64 bit systems near as much as I do my main one which is 32 bit Vista.

Thanks for replies.
I did as I said and just changed C to D, leaving the remainder of the path the same. Noticed no odd behavior.
Clarifying: If the app wanted to install to C:\Program Files (x86)\App Name, you only changed C: to D: ?

On your D: drive, did you 2 Folders (one named Program Files (x86), or just ONE Program Files folder that 32 AND 64 bit prgms were both loaded into?

Thanks LookinAround, I'm not planning on installing 2 OSes on the same partition. I've never done that, but then anytime I had a dual boot, I used some 3rd party boot manager.

I ONLY changed C to D, leaving the rest untouched. So there are 2 program files directories on D.

this is just a "heads up"

Again, i don't know how this may or may not apply to you and/or your installation (also noting this MS KB was published October, 2007) but i found another MS KB i knew i'd seen before.. click here

/* EDIT */
Note when reading they talk beyond the case of changing things via the registry

Thanks again.

So far, I just duplicated the 2 Program Files folder names in D:\ that are in C:

Only installed a couple prgms - so far, so good.

LookinAround, thanks for link. Think I saw that somewhere also. I THINK they're talking about MS windows or other MS prgm updates not working if you change the location of Program Files folder via registry.

No idea yet if this would be a problem for any other prgms updating. I'll soon find out.:haha:

BTW, it made no diff to the HP Recovery Mgr that I changed the drive letter of recov partition. I'll also try moving it to a 2nd HDD, which is where it should be.

Proceeding cautiously (just as you're doing) and checking/keeping any eye on things / being aware of things (as you're also doing) is the right way to go

At the same, i've always been just a bit leery of Microsoft's wording in their MS KB tho oddities i've ever heard of seemed more related to anomalies with MS updates or software that wasn't written correctly in the first place (to account for non-default locations). In any case, is more an issue of the "heads-up" as many have changed default location without any anomaly.

You may want to use the ProgramFilesDir registry entry to change the location of the Program Files folder. Additionally, you may want to modify every reference in the registry to point to the new Program Files folder. You may also want to move the contents of the original Program Files folder to the new location. However, we do not test changes to the default location of the Program Files folder. Therefore, we do not recommend or support modifying the ProgramFilesDir registry value to change the default location of the Program Files folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back