1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Vitaminwater wants to give you $100,000 if you can live without your smartphone for a year

By Polycount · 24 replies
Dec 13, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Obviously, the rules of the contest are not nearly as simple as that brief summary suggests. After all, Vitaminwater isn't going to give $100,000 to just anybody.

As such, the company is weeding out the time-wasters by requiring all would-be entrants to publish a Tweet (or an Instagram post) explaining how they would spend their smartphone-free time if they are accepted into the contest.

The Tweet must be submitted by January 8, and it has to contain the #NoPhoneforaYear and #contest hashtags. It also has to be original, relevant, and it must stay up throughout the entirety of the contest.

The first phase of the contest will involve a panel of "qualified judges" reviewing each submission, and looking at things like creativity, brand relevance, overall quality, and humor to select a single entrant.

Once an entrant has been selected, they must submit to a background check and agree to a "contract" laying out various rules (which are unknown to the general public) they will need to stick to during the following 365 days.

Of course, Vitaminwater and its sponsors understand that some form of cell phone is effectively a must-have for the average individual to function in the modern world. Emergencies happen, and the last thing you want to do is allow yourself or a loved one to get hurt merely because of a contest.

As such, the company will be providing the sole contestant with a free 1996-era cell phone and an accompanying phone plan for them to use at will. Furthermore, all tablets and smartphones are off-limits, though it sounds like laptops and desktops are perfectly fine.

Permalink to story.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,516   +2,213

They underestimate my power.. *laughs in Nokia*

Although..where are they going to find a 1996 phone that works on modern cell networks? Don't think they were even digital then.

Robb57, ETF Soldier and Clamyboy74 like this.
  3. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Guru Posts: 612   +398

I absolutely could do it.

In fact, I can sell off my iPhone XS Max 512 for at least $1000 and then make that $100,000 and then pay off my second house's mortgage.

My willpower is unstoppable.

Clamyboy74 likes this.
  4. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,087   +1,504

I could do this too. Sadly, I am probably a boring contestant.

Nima304, Dimitrios and Clamyboy74 like this.
  5. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 391   +277

Everyone thinks they can do it but nobody actually will. Not the least because they will choose someone who'll fail.

6. gigantor21

gigantor21 TS Maniac Posts: 150   +204

I wouldn't be able to do my job without it, so... :/

m4a4 and Clamyboy74 like this.
  7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,381   +294

I can do it and change all my app mobile authenticators to email (via PC brower) and text only (via dumbphone)

and I think vitaminwater already made a mistake. no smartphone for a year = no (dumb)phone for a year

Clamyboy74 likes this.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,873

They do not know me very well. After only a few questions, I would be disqualified from participation.

Clamyboy74 likes this.
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 14,521   +3,702

I've never owned, don't own, and never plan on buying a smartphone. I wonder if they'd give me the hundred grand in the judicial sense as, "credit for time served"...

Dimitrios likes this.
  10. Ean Mogg

Ean Mogg TS Enthusiast Posts: 96   +40

Umm would they want me to drink their Vitaminwater?? as I've been using a bloody old phone for years and if they want me to drink this crap for advertising umm I'd have to turn $100.000 I'm afraid lol

11. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 2,368   +833

Probably the worst contest idea I've ever heard.

I'm still trying to find the link between smartphones and water.

ForgottenLegion likes this.
  12. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,833   +1,112

Can you have a dumb phone (flip phone)?

13. Emmettf

Emmettf TS Rookie

Crap, I thought 100,00 was a million when I read it first. That's me out.

14. Adi6293

Adi6293 TS Addict Posts: 117   +69

That would be so blody easy, I need a little detox from my phone :)

15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,873

It is even easier when you are not addicted to begin with.

Dimitrios likes this.
  16. sac39507

sac39507 TS Addict Posts: 234   +87

I'd do it for free

17. Dimitrios

Dimitrios TS Maniac Posts: 320   +220

Just hide your real phone in the bathroom.

18. Dimitrios

Dimitrios TS Maniac Posts: 320   +220

LOL that was good.

19. Stiqy

Stiqy TS Enthusiast Posts: 39   +38

My mom has done this every year since she was born. No sweat for her.
    There are tons of people who don't use smart phones, especially lower income / working poor. And they could use the $100K so I hope they pick someone who can actually win it and use it.

ForgottenLegion likes this.
  20. SanityCheck

SanityCheck TS Rookie

This is an easy one for any baby boomer. I have a smart phone, but it wouldn't be any trial for me to live without it for a year as long as I had basic cell phone service. This is only difficult for a millennial who lives on his smart phone.

21. Robb57

Robb57 TS Rookie

I never owned a smart phone. They are to fragile and expensive and not particularly practical. Why would I want to watch a movie on little 6 inch screen and when am driving, I don't want to be disturbed. It seems to me that smart phones just keep people distracted and dumb. One might as well wear a gold Rolex to clean the barn.

22. captaincranky

The only thing that smartphones seem to be good for in my neighborhood, is to call your crack dealer and tell him you're out front of his house. Well OK, I suppose they work well for copping heroin or the occasional oxrcodone also.

Oh and before I forget, starting sh!t that can turn into gunfights on Facebook too.

23. L0neRang3r00

L0neRang3r00 TS Rookie

My mum can do that :)

24. flyboydale54

flyboydale54 TS Rookie Posts: 24

For $100,000 dollars, I would smash my phone with a sledge hammer and not touch another one for a year. Now offer me the $100K. :)

25. captaincranky

I think most of us would be capable of that. However, trying to write a believable essay extolling the wonders of their vitamin water, is another matter entirely.

Right side bob likes this.