Volvo will manufacture only electric and hybrid vehicles from 2019

midian182

Staff member

As more automakers embrace environmentally friendly cars, Volvo has announced it is going one step further. From 2019, every one of its new cars will be either fully electrical or a hybrid, bringing a “historic end” to its manufacturing of vehicles that possess only internal combustion engines.

"This announcement marks the end of the solely combustion engine-powered car. Volvo Cars has stated that it plans to have sold a total of 1m electrified cars by 2025. When we said it we meant it. This is how we are going to do it.” said CEOHåkan Samuelsson.

The Swedish carmaker, which is owned by Chinese multinational automotive giant Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, said the policy reflects the wishes of its customers. It still hasn’t built a completely electric vehicle but does sell five plug-in hybrids.

Volvo plans to launch five new, fully electric cars from 2019 to 2021. Three will be Volvo models, while two will come from Polestar, the company’s performance car arm.

"These five cars will be supplemented by a range of petrol and diesel plug in hybrid and mild hybrid 48-volt options on all models," Volvo said. "This means that there will in future be no Volvo cars without an electric motor."

The world’s population of electric cars passed the 2 million mark last year, with sales up 60 percent compared to 2015.

More European nations are looking to increase the adoption of zero-emission vehicles. The Netherlands is aiming to become the first country to ban the sale of all gas-powered cars, while Norway has been considering a proposal where “all new private cars, buses and light commercial vehicles” to be zero-emission from 2025.

Permalink to story.

Wow, talk about going all-in
I really wonder how green these kinds of vehicles are. Electronics and batteries usually have some metals in them from copper, gold, zinc, lithium, cadmium, the old lead-acid battery etc. When these vehicles die I sure hope these are handled properly. Then there is what is the infrastructure made from (what it contains as potential pollutants) as well as the manufacture. This stuff needs to be handled from cradle to grave so to speak.

Electric vehicle are only becoming popular now? I've been driving electric vehicles since the 50's... if playing with Scalextric slot cars counts. :)

LOL .... we'll make jokes about them today, but the trends say they are making a wise move and with a few countries out there going all electric, Volvo may have just caught lightning in a bottle .....

Electric great at torque, ICE most efficient at constant speed optimized with gear ratio.
I've wondered for years why it took so long for this to arrive, electric 0-8mph, ICE beyond, braking provides some recharge for the batteries (obvious over-simplification, but).

We better see a massive increase in range of electric vehicles soon or Volvo can say goodbye to what little US sales they have.

I really wonder how green these kinds of vehicles are. Electronics and batteries usually have some metals in them from copper, gold, zinc, lithium, cadmium, the old lead-acid battery etc. When these vehicles die I sure hope these are handled properly. Then there is what is the infrastructure made from (what it contains as potential pollutants) as well as the manufacture. This stuff needs to be handled from cradle to grave so to speak.

You are right, they are not green at all. With all the fancy materials, super huge batteries and whatnot, they are all but green when you take into account entire lifespan from manufacturing to decommissioning.

You are right, they are not green at all. With all the fancy materials, super huge batteries and whatnot, they are all but green when you take into account entire lifespan from manufacturing to decommissioning.

What about air pollution ? I ask from a city where increasing no. of vehicles on roads are creating health problems especially respiratory problems for the citizens. Electric vehicles are a good option here no?

What about air pollution ? I ask from a city where increasing no. of vehicles on roads are creating health problems especially respiratory problems for the citizens. Electric vehicles are a good option here no?

Sure. Not saying that electric vehicles are all bad, just that promo stuff you hear about them is limited to good things only.
I totally agree with you, there are way too many vehicles in some cities... especially increasing number of SUVs... those are the real problem.

Back