VR support is coming to Ubisoft games beginning next year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ubisoft facebook virtual reality vr oculus rift oculus vr project morpheus vr gaming vive vr yves guillemot

The Oculus Rift and other virtual reality headsets are poised to change gaming as we know it. There are already a few dozen AAA games that offer native support for the Oculus Rift albeit most are older classics like Quake, Doom and Team Fortress 2.

What the VR industry really needs to get the ball rolling are new games proactively designed with VR in mind, something Ubisoft says it is prepared to deliver.

During a recent Q&A session following its earnings call, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said his company believes a lot in virtual reality because they see it is really giving a chance for gamers to be more immersed in worlds. As such, his company is developing a certain number of games that are going to take advantage of this new possibility.

ubisoft facebook virtual reality vr oculus rift oculus vr project morpheus vr gaming vive vr yves guillemot

Guillemot added that they are working on the different brands they have to see how they can take advantage of those new possibilities while at the same time making sure they don’t suffer from what comes with it – that being difficulty to play a long time with those games (VR fatigue). 

Gamers can expect a few VR-ready titles next year followed by regular releases after that.

Despite the fact that there are already a few solutions available today, 2016 could be the breakout year for virtual reality. Sony’s Project Morpheus is expected to go on sale sometime next year while the Oculus Rift will be available for consumers in Q1 2016. A consumer version of HTC and Valve’s Vive VR is slated to go on sale later this year.

Permalink to story.

I don't think I could cope with the likes of Doom 3 / Dead Space / AVP etc on a VR headset. I found them unsettling enough on a monitor in a brightly lit room!

I can tell you from first hand experience that your average horror game is absolutely terrifying in the OR. In fact, I only made it 40 minutes into Alien Isolation before my nerves got the best of me - and I can't have my kids hearing me scream in fear over a game. A good pair of isolating headphones and the disconnection from the real world due to the OR surrounding your full range of vision makes it much, much scarier.

Back