W10_1809, I'm, not being offered any W10 update to a new version, and EOS last May.

jmc111

Was updating old W10-1809 and it got a notice that "End of" something.
When I looked things up I found that 1809 was "end of service" in May 2020!

I'm on a X370 Ryzen 3950 system (motherboard from 2017) and a bit puzzled why I've never seen any update offer to a newer W10 version.

One article I read said that there might be a reason why "Update" has not offered to update my 1809 and NOT to force it (.iso).

Thoughts Welcome!
jmc111

jmc111

Thank you, a lot of interesting info there.
Reading seems to indicate that 1809 is about to hit EOL.

So, looks like cloning time for the 1809W10 and a test forced update
once this .iso finishes downloading.
I just hope an "update" will work. I hate clean installs.
W10 is no problem but all the programs/serial numbers/settings...Arrgg.

Thanks again,
jmc111

Aranarth

Personally, I would use the media creator to download win 10 20h2.
You want to use a flash (thumb) drive for this.

Run the setup.exe file on the root of the flash drive and let windows do an upgrade.

I have not had any issues going from 1809 or 1902 to the latest version.
I would still HIGHLY RECOMMEND backing up your important files FIRST though!

bazz2004

My Vaio laptop got left behind with a major update and in the end I updated manually. Sorry that I don't remember what I did but if I'd been required to do a fresh install and then reinstall all the software I'd remember. Hopefully it won't be difficult for you.

jmc111

Thanks to all.

The only way I'll feel safe is to clone the boot drive and use the clone for a forced update. (so that I always have a backup drive).

Fingers Crossed.

bazz2004

When you have your copy I suggest that don't leave leave the drives connected at the same time. I suspect that Microsoft doesn't like two identical OS on the same system. I had a lot of issues until I realised this wasn't a good idea.