W32TIME not updating system clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have configured W32TIME:
  • Using setsntp, I specified the following time server: 192.43.244.18 (time.nist.gov, NCAR, Boulder, Colorado). The command was confirmed successful.
  • I pinged the server to confirm that it was available.
  • I also tried alternative servers.
  • I stopped and restarted the W32TIME service.
  • I checked the Event Viewer, which showed that the W32TIME service had been stopped and restarted, and reported no errors.
  • I disabled my firewall.
Despite this, W32TIME is not updating the system clock.

Can anyone suggest what I can try next to try to get the system clock to update automatically?

This has worked for many of us:

Right click on the clock> Adjust Date/Time> Time Zone tab> make sure you correct Time Zone is set> check 'automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time'> Internet Time tab> Check 'automatically adjust with an internet server'> Copy this server and paste it in the Server box:

tick.usno.navy.mil

Then click on Update now. This has set the correct time in the absence of the Windows Update or other servers working. Give it a try.

raybay said:
Try one of the good and simple time services such as TClockEx
I didn't think that TClockEx had a synchronization option, but I will look at other 3rd party alternatives.

Bobbye said:
This has worked for many of us:

Right click on the clock> Adjust Date/Time> Time Zone tab> make sure you correct Time Zone is set> check 'automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time'> Internet Time tab> Check 'automatically adjust with an internet server'> Copy this server and paste it in the Server box:

tick.usno.navy.mil

Then click on Update now. This has set the correct time in the absence of the Windows Update or other servers working. Give it a try.

Many thanks for the suggestion. I have now tried it, but get the response "An error occurred getting the status of the last synchroniization. The RPC server is unavailable".

CAUSE
This problem occurs because of a mismatch in the computer name and the name that the RPC service expects. This mismatch may occur if the computer name is changed by using one of the following methods:
• The Microsoft System Preparation (Sysprep) tool was used to create the Windows XP image that you used to start the computer.
• You change the computer name during the Windows XP Out of Box Experience.
• One or more of the following conditions are true:
• You disconnect the network cable during the Windows XP Out of Box Experience.
• You do not restart the computer after the Windows XP Out of Box Experience has completed.
• You open Disk Management.

See if this suggestion will help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884564

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back