W7 BSOD; Uncorrectable hardware error, other problems on desktop

For the past four weeks I've been having blue screens of death pop up. At first it was only happening while running games. After reinstalling graphics drivers and testing other fixes a few times (and still getting blue screens), the problem began to spread outside of the games and into basic applications. I tried to fix and figure out what was going on, but the time between crashes kept getting shorter and shorter. Eventually, I couldn't even get to my desktop without using debug mode. Under the assumption that my quick fixes along the way were only adding more problems, I decided to just reinstall Windows.

It didn't help. I was getting anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours of activity before crashing. Since the problem was continuing I had to rule software out as the cause. Assuming it was a hardware problem, I ordered replacement RAM. After switching the RAM sticks out I had a bit more success, but still only lasted about 5 or 6 hours before crashing again. Its been some time and I can operate for longer, but still occasionally get a crash outside of a game.

Then I started experiencing an issue where my programs randomly end on me. Firefox, AIM and Steam being the most noticeable and annoying of them. Painfully had to retype messages like this on tech support forums elsewhere.

Most recently, my computer suddenly (usually when I have various things going on at once) locks up; the screen stays stuck on whatever was showing and no inputs can be made. All I can do is a hard shutdown. The other problem of applications closing is prevalent.

I'm attaching the dumps that I've both gotten recently and salvaged from before reinstalling Windows. I'm also putting text files I saved from Windows' reports of stop errors (some from multiple instances on the same days).

If anyone can contribute anything to my dilemma, please post it here.

Attachments

• Dumps.7z
    137.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Errors.7z
    903 bytes · Views: 2
First, before reading your dumps tell us the various fixes you have tried to do.

Second, this sounds like a RAM issue but in light of your error let's look at that...

0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* if any of your hardware is overclocked set all oc'd hardware back to factory parameters.

Back