Walmart will expand InHome delivery service to reach 30 million homes by year's end

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Walmart has announced plans to expand its InHome delivery service in the US, from six million households to 30 million by the end of 2022. Priced at $19.95 per month or $148 per year including all fees and tips, it's not a bad deal, so long as you are alright with letting strangers into your home unattended.

Trialed in 2017 and officially launched in 2019, the program takes grocery delivery a step further than most. Rather than simply having someone deliver grocery orders to your front door, InHome invites delivery personnel to enter your home and put food directly into your refrigerator or freezer.

Tom Ward, SVP of last mile delivery for Walmart, said they’ve been operating the service in select markets over the last two years and have found it to be a great solution for customers who don’t want to worry about making it to the store or being home to accept a delivery.

Granting a stranger unattended access to your home may seem like a risky proposition, but Walmart doesn’t seem concerned. A “highly-trained” associate uses a one-time access code to unlock your door or garage, and a camera worn on the associates’ vest records the entire delivery process, which can be accessed from your phone for up to a week after each delivery.

Walmart said it plans to hire more than 3,000 InHome associate delivery drivers to support the service’s growth and will promote from within its own ranks. Drivers will be equipped with fully electric delivery vans and will receive full benefits, plus an extra $1.50 per hour.

Permalink to story.

At first I was going to say how lazy do you have to be for this, but thats wrong.

how busy is your life for this to be an option, you cant go to the store? you cant go to walmart? is your spouse also the busiest being in existence? are the kids in perpetual soccer practice?

if thats your life then im not sure if walmart is creepy for doing this or if theyre actually doing a solid for watching out for people/families in this situation.

At first I was going to say how lazy do you have to be for this, but thats wrong.

how busy is your life for this to be an option, you cant go to the store? you cant go to walmart? is your spouse also the busiest being in existence? are the kids in perpetual soccer practice?
America is the land of the fat, lazy, and infantiled. We've raised an entire generation to never grow up, to act like children, and now the kids of thsoe people cant manage anything by themselves.

if thats your life then im not sure if walmart is creepy for doing this or if theyre actually doing a solid for watching out for people/families in this situation.
Give you a hint: Walmart, like any corporation, doesnt care about your family. They want ot make money. And they make buko $$$ off of a system like this. They also get to lock customers into shooping at their stores, and with delivery the customer is more likely to make multile shorter lists, meaning more $$$ in delivery fees and consumer preference data that can be sold for $$$.

I don't like having certain family members coming over to visit, being in my house. No way in hell I'd let Amazon or Walmart or Barnes & Noble or any other company have free access to my house (I'm not saying Barnes & Noble is looking to do this as a service, just picked a completely random company to toss in).

I don't even let valets park my car, helI no. Keep away from my stuff.

As someone who is disabled I can see the alure but no way would I have someone coming inside my home. Now how about expanding where they will home deliver to my driveway? It would be nice occasionally. They have really stepped up their game with pick-up orders though which is a really good service for people such as myself and for busy people.

It would be INTERESTING, to check the number of homes, that have IN HOME delivery, that the delivery person ends up casing the joint, and some other person breaks into the home, to steal something. Oh that would never happen...yeah right!

Back