WAN risks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I need infornation on possible, but not everyday risks involved when hosting a WAN.

The idea is to host a LAN consisting out of 300 people, in 5 places, connected via a WAN

All I need to know for now... is the possible high risks or problems that I might run into when setting up this network.

Now since this is a task only, money will not be a risk or problem.

If anyone has links to valuable information, it would be greatly appreciated.

hmm; Just to be clear, Five physical sites connected via a WAN to enable a common LAN for shared resources?

IF AND ONLY IF your WAN connections are VPNs to the lan will that be safe at all.
However, each of the remotes will then find it difficult to do anything except access LAN resources, as to allow them to surf while connected to you is also a security issue.

You should also insist that each remote site
  1. have a 3rd party firewall to control BOTH in/out bound traffic
  2. and a good A/V product that runs nighly
The issue is any infection on one could easily infect the LAN and from there ALL of the other WAN users.

So security is one of my major risks?

Thanks alot, this really helps!

I have to right a report on an insident that happened... only I have to pick an insident in connection with my topic. This is my topic for END year, but for now I just needed something that can skrew over( dont know better term ^^) the entire setup. Your solutions is also very impressive, I'll go do research on decent A/V's and Firewall and right the report.

Agan, thanks alot

I'll leave it to Word -_-

jobeard, could you perhaps colaborate on VPN's?

For example: What is a VPN and why is it secure?

If you have links about VPN's it would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

VPN = Virtual Private Network

It essentially creates a secure(encrypted) connection between 2 or more locations. It also allows the locations to communicate as if they were on the same LAN (with the exception that transfer speed is reduced due to internet speed). There are serveral ways to setup a VPN, you can setup hardware or software VPN's. In the situation you listed about, a hardware VPN (i.e., using cisco vpn capable hardware) would be the best solution. You can do a search for VPN and find plenty of information regarding it.

There are multiple means to create a VPN:
  1. Hardwared devices on both ends (eg: Cisco routers and switches)
  2. Software implementations (both secured and unsecured)
The business oriented user would really like to go with the hardware choice and Cisco is the big-dog in that room; they're also expensive (but high quality).

This Wiki has a good description of the Secured Techinques

An illustration of a VPN:
vpn-scheme.png

Notice: Lan-1-2 and Branch Office all have different IP addresses

Another view:
VPNFigure5.gif

Software implementations include
  1. Tinyvpn
  2. Teamviewer
  3. LogMeIn
  4. goToMyPC (a commercial 3rd party that sets between the user and the remote connected system)
  5. RemotePC
  6. The Windows 'Remote Desktop' program (see the intro)
  7. Access Remote PC
  8. RealVNC

You should look for User Reviews of any such software and be sure to get a
list of Features and Benefits to perform an Apples-to-Apples comparison.
(eg: some will encrypt the data flow, but neglect to encrypt the login :( )

I oculd say thank you, but it just would cut it, you really know your stuff. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Your welcome. Techspot is usually involved with post mortem diagnosis and repair, but when the community looks for guidance we get to be proactive and (hopefully) help avoid loss of time, effort and grief -- sure makes my day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back