Want a free Google TV? Tell Google you're a Web developer

Emil

Staff

Google knows it's going to have a tough time convincing users to switch to its TV platform. As a result, over the next few weeks, the search giant is handing out 10,000 free Google TV units to developers in hopes of "empowering the developers of the world to make Google TV an even better experience, through websites that have been built with the TV screen in mind." 3,000 Google TV devices (specifically, Logitech Revues) were already given away to attendees of the Adobe MAX conference.

The remaining devices will go to existing Web developers in the Google Code community, but the company is also accepting entries from professional Web developers into the Google TV Web Developer Promotion. You'll need to include a short summary about the type of interesting website your company would like to create or optimize for Google TV. Google is planning to select 2,500 winners from those entries.

For those outside of US borders: "this giveaway is only for U.S based developers," Google said. "We hope to make Google TV available in other markets soon.

Permalink to story.

This isn't a bad approach to inspire developers to design in a more google-tv friendly site, but it will driven by the amount of changes that need to be made and the costs associated with that, not a free google-tv unit. Cash > google-tv, or better yet, cash+google tv.

I'm not impressed by this, since google has a lot of ofices world wide why is it only targgeting us.

I think they are only trying to talk up google tv and create a buzz around it so people get interested. It certainly caught my attention when they said FREE! Once this thing takes off I think they will have found something very worthwhile.

OK, will they get paid if they come up with something worthwhile, or just get to keep the gimmick box?

i dunno about this... =/
couldn't u just use a hdmi cable and connect yur comp to the tv?
Well, um let's see. Yes, I daresay you could. Not only that but, I don't think the TV will accept Google's tracking cookies. No sorry, they stay in the computer. I forgot about that, there's always a downside.

Have any of the Google supporters thought about the fact, that now Google will be following you around, while you're doing something as innocuous as watching your own damned TV.

Hooray, now everybody's a "Neilson family"!

So, basically they'll be outside taking pictures of your property, at the same time they're jamming their noses up your a** while you're channel surfing! I know, I know, "if you're ashamed to let them know what you're watching on TV , you shouldn't be watching it". There, I said it , so that you'll spare me agony of having to hear it from you.

Have any of the Google supporters thought about the fact, that now Google will be following you around, while you're doing something as innocuous as watching your own damned TV.

Hooray, now everybody's a "Neilson family"!

So, basically they'll be outside taking pictures of your property, at the same time they're jamming their noses up your a** while you're channel surfing! I know, I know, "if you're ashamed to let them know what you're watching on TV , you shouldn't be watching it". There, I said it , so that you'll spare me agony of having to hear it from you.

I think anyone who uses the internet or any kind of data service should realize that there is the potential risk someone providing that service can observe what your using it for. Is Google trying to take advantage of the powerful position they are in? probably not. Is Google the only thing we should be worried about? most likely no.

Yes its a good initiative but dont know how it will work for them. We here in India are very behind in latest technology

This is an interesting strategy on the part of Google. Giving away free Google TVs to web developers. The lucky winners of the lottery will probably release interesting application that will integrate into Google TV.

Can't wait to see how Google's attempt to conquer the TV industry goes.

Why is the cool stuff US only

Im a web developer programming application in Google web toolkit. Why exclude Canada :(

So contact google and tell them I'm a web developer and they'll just send me a goggle TV? hahaha ok I'll do that, I'll just say I work for Techspot(I'm only joking) =P

Done. I applied last night, I am a web developer who is currently employed by a business, I want it to be the first of its kind on Google TV, let's see if I get it.

Back