Want to wipe PC / unable to boot from disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegisrose

Greetings TechSpot! I'm back with more questions!

ok~ new PC, new issue. This gem is an old PC that is still worth saving; however, the previous owner did not have legit software, etc. I found this out AFTER I attempted to authenticate the version of windows XP and attempt to upgrade to SP3 which made the machine all sorts of buggy and wrecked the registry.

Anyhow, long story short, I have a legit copy of windows XP and I would like to simply start from scratch.

I attempted to boot from disk, but when prompted to "hit any key" the PC just ignores my command. I also tried going into the BIOS, and the PC ignored my command. It's almost as if the keyboard isn't loading in time.

I'm wondering how I can go about manually deleting windows, etc. I'm not savvy enough to know my way around DOS with the del command... I need to be able to boot from the CD, or else I'm dead in the water. aren't I?

Are you using a USB keyboard? If so, it might not be supported by the older motherboard BIOS. Switch to a PS/2 keyboard if you have access to one. After Windows is installed you can switch back to the USB keyboard.

I was just coming back to post that I thought of the same thing! I feel smart!

I just tried with an old dusty PS/2 keyboard I had hidden under the bed and VOILA! I knew I kept that thing around for a reason!

Thanks Mailpup!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back