Warner Bros. is fast-tracking a sequel to Wonder Woman 1984 following successful weekend...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Wonder Woman 1984 debuted on Christmas Day and exceeded projections. Warner Bros. revealed that nearly half of all retail HBO Max subscribers watched the movie on launch day. Total viewing hours on Friday were more than triple in comparison to an average day, the studio said.

Warner Bros. decision to premiere Wonder Woman 1984 on HBO Max the same day it hit theaters ruffled a lot of feathers but in hindsight, the gamble appears to have paid off.

Warner Bros. said the film “easily conquered” the holiday weekend, exceeding projections as “the top post-pandemic domestic opening weekend for any feature film this year.” Wonder Woman 1984 brought in $16.7 million at the box office, pushing the worldwide tally for the film to $85 million thus far.

I’m not sure I’d call this the post-pandemic era as the situation is far from under control, but to each their own I suppose.

Private watch parties and large-format screen showings like IMAX were the most popular options among viewers. More than 10,000 private rentals were booked over opening weekend, Warner Bros. said. Alamo Drafthouse, AMC and others now offer the option to rent out full auditoriums for private screenings to create a safer viewing environment during the pandemic.

Warner Bros. Chairman Toby Emmerich said they are excited to continue the story of Diana Prince with their “real life Wonder Women” who will return to conclude the long-planned trilogy.

Wonder Woman 1984 was the sequel to the first film in the franchise from 2017 and the ninth overall installment in the DC Extended Universe.

Permalink to story.

The movies was an absolute trash. It's rating on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes was paid for, by equally rotten promoters. But it is getting adjusted now. From 6.8 to 5.7 on IMDB in one day - that speaks for itself. It will go way below 5, and into the trash bin where it belongs.

following successful weekend premiere
Are you shitting me? Did you mean, following successful one-day suck out, till the word got out about promoting BS?

Why did you re-publish this garbage here?

Last edited:
Watched it last night. If I were paid to have anything to do with this movie I would return the money and pay extra to have my name completely scrubbed off this piece of utter trash.

What a f'd up time we live in if anyone watches this and actually gives it a favorable review. 2 out of 10 would be overly gracious.

Checked Rotten Tomatos and IMDB, the movie seems to be slightly above average.
HBO is losing money while they expand their library. I think it doesnt matter for them right now how much this and the next WW will make. They need more movies' in their library.

The movies was an absolute trash. It's rating on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes was paid for, by equally rotten promoters. But it is getting adjusted now. From 6.8 to 5.7 on IMDB in one day - that speaks for itself. It will go way below 5, and into the trash bin where it belongs.

Are you shitting me? Did you mean, following successful one-day suck out, till the word got out about promoting BS?

Why did you re-publish this garbage here?
Meh it's edgy and trendy for clicks, dipping into the feminist extremism and far left idealisms that state you either love it or are a bigot or sexist because women are powerful. The entire industry has been saturated with mind numbing idealisms tech and gaming was always under fire for being a boys club even though it was far from the truth. I am surprised they haven't dipped into the gamergate satire movie coming out.
There is a female australian youtubber that is excellent calling out the BS of these cancel culture and sexism and toxic ethics that are somehow surfacing on society.

Sigh. Just a flock of like "minded" internet boy bitches and not a single comment on why it sucked.

What keeps me invested in movies/TV shows are the stakes. They've got to be clearly defined and illustrated. I won't get into any spoilers, but the general idea of "greed" is posited as the antagonist. There's also a very vague allusion to it's ability to bring down civilization. I think most people can understand that, but it wasn't illustrated well.

As the movie approached the climax, you'll see chaotic scenes of people running around panicked but I didn't care at all. It was supposed to be the consequence of greed but the connection was poorly established.

Wonder Woman is the hero, so obviously her role is to put an end to it all, but they needed to do a much better job depicting what's at stake for her. Pedro Pascal's character was the highlight of the entire movie. His motives are clearly defined and so are his stakes; he had the best acting too. Cheetah's character seems like an afterthought though...they needed to do a better job of integrating her arch into the movie.

I've seen much worse though. I'd give it a 7.

What keeps me invested in movies/TV shows are the stakes. They've got to be clearly defined and illustrated. I won't get into any spoilers, but the general idea of "greed" is posited as the antagonist. There's also a very vague allusion to it's ability to bring down civilization. I think most people can understand that, but it wasn't illustrated well.

As the movie approached the climax, you'll see chaotic scenes of people running around panicked but I didn't care at all. It was supposed to be the consequence of greed but the connection was poorly established.

Wonder Woman is the hero, so obviously her role is to put an end to it all, but they needed to do a much better job depicting what's at stake for her. Pedro Pascal's character was the highlight of the entire movie. His motives are clearly defined and so are his stakes; he had the best acting too. Cheetah's character seems like an afterthought though...they needed to do a better job of integrating her arch into the movie.

I've seen much worse though. I'd give it a 7.
Sheesh man, you should be a pro movie critic. Seriously nice, right to the point write up. We are going to watch it over New Years' weekend and I would be happy with just stupid fun to be honest.

I first watched a re-run of the original with Gal Gadot in a theater to get ready to watch the new one, and I was surprised by how much detail I had forgotten, and I enjoyed the re-run quite a bit. I next watched the new one, WW84, in the same theater. WW84 led me to think that I prefer sci-fi in general over fantasy because 'magic' allows anything, but sci-fi requires some logical constraints. That said, I simply appreciate being able to go see big-screen movies in comfortable recliners at my local theater. It's one of my stress-relievers, and even a passable movie is good for me. As to some of the criticisms that the movie is a male-bashing, feminist extremist, cancel-culture piece of garbage, well, maybe I missed that part of the movie. I went to get some entertainment, and I got it. Some of the logic of the movie looks odd, and may lead to a sequel where the animal woman has retained her wish since she did not renounce it, and she got it before the bad guy became the wishing source and later renounced it. Someone who watched the movie with me thinks that she lost her wish without renouncing it, so the logic is not clear. The final cameo by you know who could lead to an interesting sequel for you know who with a bigger part to play. That would be fun.

Sigh. Just a flock of like "minded" internet boy bitches and not a single comment on why it sucked.

Exactly!

Seems to be a trend now days of people thinking it's cool saying how bad/boring/suck a movie is without giving out an actual valid reason why exactly.

I watched it myself last night and can definitely say sure it's not as good as the first one, but still quite enjoyable for what it is and it's certainly no where near as bad as some of the commenters here are saying.

Sheesh man, you should be a pro movie critic. Seriously nice, right to the point write up. We are going to watch it over New Years' weekend and I would be happy with just stupid fun to be honest.
I'd rated it at 6 om IMDB and glad all those that rate it as a 1 star don't count in there rating system ! Slow going for about the first half ... all the action mostly happens at the end !

Back