Watch how Zotac graphics cards are made

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Most consumers are oblivious to the herculean efforts that go into hardware production. Robots and humans must work in perfect harmony to get the job done on time while minimizing mistakes. If you've never seen a production line in action, it's quite fascinating.

It’s easy to become jaded when a hobby becomes your livelihood. You just kind of expect the next best thing to show up without much consideration or appreciation for what goes into the R&D and manufacturing process.

That’s where I am with computer hardware and I suspect many of you may also be in the same boat.

One potential way to develop a newfound appreciation for hardware is to pull back the curtain and see how the magic is made. Fortunately for us, journalists from Impress Watch and PCGamesN brought along their cameras during a recent tour of PC Partner’s factory in China.

PC Partner is a massive contract manufacturer that makes hardware for companies like Dell, AMD, Samsung, Acer, Sapphire, LG, Inno3D and Zotac. The publications’ tour focuses specifically on Zotac video cards, showcasing the massive amount of human labor and robotic help that goes into the creation of a graphics accelerator.

PCGamesN has a lengthy write-up on its tour complete with photos while Impress Watch opted for a nearly nine-minute-long video with Japanese subtitles.

Perhaps most impressive is the fact that PC Partner’s operations are so streamlined, they can switch manufacturing from one card to another in as little as five to 15 minutes. In manufacturing where time is money, every second counts.

Images courtesy PCGamesN

Permalink to story.

I worked for Seagate in the early 90's and ran one of those lines starting from the MPM machine spitting out hard drive controller cards. These parts are not made as quickly as people who have never worked on this stuff think. It's still very much one component at a time... and I remember one time when I was putting the wrong transistor or diode on one of the boards and it wasn't caught until it got down to QC - we had to stop the whole line and manually desolder/resolder the correct parts on. You only make that kind of mistake once since everyone on the floor is staring at you for hours.

I enjoyed how the video was edited. It reminded me how I much I enjoyed these videos as a kid.

While I tuned in to watch " Mr Roger's Neighborhood". The quality in which the filming was captured.

Back in those early 80s years. Is quite similar to the way this video was presented to the audience.

Thank You for posting the video.

That looks like such a horrible job. I don't know how people can tolerate just standing in one spot all day doing some repetitious task over and over, all that noise too, and they get paid so little to do it.

So when are robots replacing those robot like Asian people working for a fraction of what people get paid in civilized world?

That looks like such a horrible job. I don't know how people can tolerate just standing in one spot all day doing some repetitious task over and over, all that noise too, and they get paid so little to do it.

I spent a few months programming and setting up machines like these, My part wasn't so bad (I didn't have a lot to do once they ran apart from watch for **** ups but with 4 machines I was busy) but the people who inspect the boards and solder on parts the machines couldn't handle... That looked seriously boring to me.

Typically in that line of work, people learn all the different jobs on the work floor and cycle positions to lessen the redundancy. There can be more automation put into place but that would also mean less jobs for them too.

Anyways, I enjoyed the video. so much solder paste! lol
My favorite parts were the machines that put on all the little components.

Yup, you obviously know everything about employment over there in China. Did you even ask the workers whether they happy to have a job to begin with compared to let's say, having no jobs? All of you concern trolls strutting on your moral high horses are really just entitled juveniles playing the blame pushing game while taking no responsibility to satisfy your own inflated egos.

Back