Watch Live: Samsung Unpacked 5 event, Galaxy S5 announcement

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As anticipated, the long-rumored Galaxy S5 was the highlight of Samsung’s Unpacked 5 press event at Mobile World Congress. The handset would best be described as an incremental update instead of a major departure from the tried and true Galaxy S line. New for 2014 is a 5.1-inch FHD Super AMOLED display operating at 1,920 x 1,080, a quad-core CPU clocked at 2.5GHz, 2GB of RAM, a 16-megapixel rear camera and a 2.0-megapixel front-facing shooter. Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, an IR blaster and a microSD card slot all come standard.

The rear cover features a perforated design (sorry, no metal chassis here) that's available in blue, white, black and gold. It'll ship with Android 4.2.2 Kit Kat and Samsung's familiar user interface alongside multiple S-branded apps.

Elsewhere, the GS5 features Samsung Knox mobile security for enterprise users and a 2,800mAh battery good for up to 10 hours of web usage and 12 hours of video playback. Should you still find yourself low on juice, an ultra power saving mode can turn the display to black and white and disable all unnecessary features. Samsung claims this can extend the GS5's battery life by up to 24 hours in standby with just 10 percent of battery life left.

Samsung's latest also includes full LTE Cat.4 coverage, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac HT80, MIMO (2x2), and a download booster that bonds your Wi-Fi connection with LTE for a faster and more stable connection. IP67 water and dust resistance is also included which of course isn't the same as water proof. Instead, it can be submerged in up to three feet of water for up to 30 minutes.

The GS5's 16-megapixel camera is equipped with a number of nifty features such as improved real-time HDR functionality for richer tones, a fast autofocus system and a selective focus mode that simulates shallow depth of field produced by higher-end DSLR camera lenses.

Not to be confused with an LED flash, another sensor just below the rear camera is used to monitor your heart rate. Simply place your fingertip on the sensor and within five to 10 seconds, your current heart rate will be given.

Another key feature on the GS5 is a fingerprint reader. Much like the one found on the iPhone 5s, this scanner is used to validate your identity (unlock the device, make secure payments, etc.) and activate a private mode that only you can access. Prints are encrypted on the device, stored locally and never shared.

Those with kids will appreciate the new kid mode. As the name suggests, this is a kid-friendly mode that comes pre-installed with age-appropriate apps and will prevent your little ones from perhaps seeing something they shouldn't.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 will launch on April 11 around the world and on all major US carriers in capacities of 16GB and 32GB. Pricing, however, was not mentioned during the Unpacked event.

Permalink to story.

"an ultra power saving mode can turn the display to black and white and disable all unnecessary features"
I wonder what they consider "unnecessary"? I can't see 24 hours on <10% with 4g even on, let alone features like texting.

I'm impressed. I see why they didn't go with the 1440 display if battery was a major focus. Bravo Samsung.

Holy boredom batman. I am a big Samsung fan and LOVE the note 3 but they basically made a smaller note 3 and put the S5 logo on it sans the s-pen.

Watching samsung stock fall as we speak. shame

So no metal chasis and no 1440p display. What is acctually different from the $4?

I thought the rumors said it was going to be metal. Was it metal at all? Or rumors were wrong?

"The handset would best be described as an incremental update..."

Incremental would definitely be an apt description for this phone.
Quite frankly...underwhelming would be another.

Bored. I'd rather have a heart attack than owning this device. this will be just like their smart galaxy gear which stinks in stores. I hope HTC can launch a premium phone than this.

"an ultra power saving mode can turn the display to black and white and disable all unnecessary features"
I wonder what they consider "unnecessary"? I can't see 24 hours on <10% with 4g even on, let alone features like texting.

They probably took that measurement with a brand new battery too. But who cares really? 6 hours would be great at less than 10% battery, who needs the full 24?
I believe it could work. I use an app call Juice Defender that turns off your mobile data and wifi when your screen is off and it really improves battery life. If the S5 has a bigger battery it could really benefit from it. Samsung also uses those screens that only light up the pixels being shown (not a backlit screen like many others) which means if it's displaying dim white text on a black background its like having 95% of the screen turned off.

I thought the rumors said it was going to be metal. Was it metal at all? Or rumors were wrong?
I couldn't tell. I think if it were aluminum they would have mentioned it. Looks like shiny textured something -or-another.

I'm glad it's still kept simple with a home button, 1080p screen and with a non metal chassis, it serves to help keep the weight down as well as an already substantial price tag. Pity about the screen size getting bigger but if overall dimensions haven't changed it's a non issue. So far I like what I see but a heart rate monitor... what on earth for?
The gold model looks like it should do well in the sub continent but it's not a color I'd gravitate towards.
Now I'd like to see the S5 Mini, it would interest me more than this one.

Android 4.2.2 sounds more like Jelly Bum to me and not Kit Kat.

Really disappointing... the back is really hideous, no offense...

Also, why didnt they go with a Snapdragon 801? According to some sites, it is packing an 800.

The fingerprint sensor and waterproofing is a nice addition. Too bad the improvements are subpar.

Looks like nothing more than an annual specs bump and minor design adjustment. This device is still pretty much just an S3, much like how the S4 was.

I have waited so long to find out such disappointing specs for the S5, the Sony Z2 blows it out the water with its specs.. 3 gigs ram, better camera...S5 has no metal chassis or 5.2 inch screen... Samsung just lost a whole lot of customers. I waited a year for this and now I think I'll try Sony.

Lol some of you really sound hurt over this.

This is going to continue for the 6s and the 7s. Why spend money on R&D when you guys will line up to by this phone anyways just like the Iphone users.

I guess in their mind they've perfected the Galaxy S series, so now they don't want to take any risks changing too much. Now they're essentially following Apple's lead: Spend as little money as possible by re-releasing the same phone each year, and people will still buy it.

An uninspiring incremental update, perhaps, one can say a slightly souped up GT-i9506?

Edit:
Also, they finally decided to copy WP's Kid's corner ......... cool ;)

Last edited:
Heh heh a lot of folk are disappointed with it and to be honest it's nothing out of the ordinary and pretty much expected but it will sell in droves and that's what counts. The only thing I think whats wrong with it is it's name, it should rather have been called a S4 Plus or S4 Advanced etc. because that's all it is.

Seriously, what did people expect?
At this point, making a huge difference in smartphones is pretty much non possible.
Better battery life is not going to happen until some years where the new tech for batteries will become available and cheap.
The HD screen is just fine and now they added a smart way to control the brightness. What did you want? A 4k resolution screen on 5 inch? Lol
Processor and ram are an ok incremental and camera is more than I personally expected.

Hardware wise, this is very ok. Now those who wanted more need a reality check.

I think it has more to do with where Samsung went wrong (and where Apple usually have gotten things right), for an incremental upgrade, do not use a new model number, instead they should have called it Galaxy S4 (whatever letter they haven't used yet), this alone would have made much more sense.

Back