1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Watch: Russian delivery drone smashes into building during maiden flight

By midian182 · 16 replies
Apr 4, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. While several companies, particularly Amazon, have been developing drone delivery technologies for many years, it seems more work in the area might be required. Over in Russia, a demonstration of a drone making its maiden delivery ended in disaster when it smashed into the side of a building.

Reuters reports that the $20,000 UAV, built by Russian company Rudron/ Expeditor 3M, was supposed to deliver a package from the Siberian city of Ulan-Ude to a nearby town. But video footage shows it taking off and hovering in the air before losing control and crashing into an apartment block.

The drone hit the three-story building at some speed, annihilating the vehicle in the process. A small crowd of spectators was standing near the crash site, though nobody was hurt.

Despite its logo appearing on the drone and the launch pad, the Russian Postal Service says it was only present at the ceremony as a guest; it denied having any part in the launch. Back in 2016, Russia said it planned to start using drones for delivering parcels across parts of the country.

One official at the event said the crash could have been caused by disruption from over 100 WiFi connections in the area. He said the accident didn’t spell the end of the project, and that the team will continue its work.

“We won’t stop with this, we will keep trying,” he said. “Those who don’t risk don’t get a result.”

FAA regulations are a part of the reason why Amazon’s drone deliveries are taking so long to arrive. With incidents like the one in Russia still taking place, it could be a while before we see the launch of an official, nationwide drone service.

Image credit: Reuters/Anna Ogorodnik

Permalink to story.

2. fps4ever

fps4ever TS Guru Posts: 286   +268

HA HA!

EClyde likes this.
  3. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 3,931   +1,161

I'm sure that a bunch of hardworking engineers are feeling disappointed and even upset. I wish them success on their next try.

stewi0001 and madboyv1 like this.
  4. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 725   +345

This thing could have killed someone.

EClyde likes this.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,754   +1,490

If you've EVER tried to fly a Radio Controlled (RC) airplane, you understand just how difficult this task is. For flights beyond "orientation recognition" (aka which direction is away vs towards you), you MUST have some video feedback, like onboard camera and a reference to North. You're basically talking about a militarized RC drone.

6. ForgottenLegion

ForgottenLegion TS Guru Posts: 365   +367

...or something by DJI.

7. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,138   +1,556

[​IMG]

JaredTheDragon and wiyosaya like this.
  8. Kenrick

Kenrick TS Evangelist Posts: 630   +403

Whoever took the footage of the paper blown by air should be nominated for best director.

9. cuerdc

cuerdc TS Booster Posts: 177   +41

Fail. Why is there no drone suits yet id gladly collect my own package, there are already drones capable of easily carrying the weight of a person with plenty of range.

10. Vulcanproject

Vulcanproject TS Evangelist Posts: 695   +949

Russia postal drone: Hi, Russian flying delivery!

You opening door: What are you delivering to me today?

Russia postal drone: DEATH!

russian dude likes this.
  11. bob333

bob333 TS Enthusiast Posts: 70   +33

Russians tried to beat US airstrikes.. they failed.

12. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,153   +3,576

We can only hope those new "super weapons" work as well .... come to think of it, Putin said they were undetectable .... I guess if they smash into the nearest building they probably will be!

wiyosaya likes this.
  13. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Evangelist Posts: 596   +76

If people thought like that we would still be living in caves...

14. Theinsanegamer

Theinsanegamer TS Evangelist Posts: 1,517   +1,725

People do think like that, all the time, yet we dont live in caves.

RevD14 and wiyosaya like this.
  15. emmzo

emmzo TS Addict Posts: 168   +59

I guess russian rockets won`t get you through the window, but rest assured the city will fly with you.

16. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,721   +2,080

Disruptions from WiFi? I wonder what that means? Personally, I would not rely on a WiFi network - if that is what they are doing - for control of this thing. Just too unreliable, in general, IMO.

17. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Evangelist Posts: 596   +76

Sorry, I meant if all people thought like that, luckily it's limited to just the retards.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...