Watch this: Cyberpunk 2077 gets its first Xbox One X and Xbox Series X gameplay footage

Polycount

Staff
Highly anticipated: Cyberpunk 2077's next Night City Wire event isn't supposed to kick off for another couple of days, but developer CD Projekt Red decided to surprise us all with a bit of extra gameplay before the 19th rolls around. Importantly, the footage isn't running on a high-end PC -- instead, we're getting real console footage.

That's right: for the first time ever, you can watch Cyberpunk 2077 running on both the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X. This should come as a relief to current-gen console users, who recently learned that Cyberpunk 2077's latest delay was caused by lacking performance on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

It seems the delay (which was about three weeks long) was worthwhile because Cyberpunk 2077 is looking absolutely stunning on both the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X. The footage clocks in at around 10 minutes in length, and though it's chopped up quite a bit to avoid spoilers (CDPR's usual reasoning for heavily-edited gameplay), we get plenty of excellent views of Night City from the street level.

The footage swaps between the One X and the Series X at various points, so you should get a pretty good idea of how the game will look on both devices. Fortunately, the visuals are far from terrible on the older console. The draw distance and textures are downgraded, of course, and some visual effects (such as window lights) don't activate until the player is quite close, but the visuals are nowhere near as bad as some likely feared.

The reflections, in particular, look beautiful across both generations. They don't appear to be ray traced on the Series X yet, but a patch with support for that tech should arrive at a later date.

One of the more obvious differences between the Series X and the One X in today's footage involves framerates. The Xbox One X has several clear (sub-30?) FPS drops in more visually intense scenes, whereas the Series X is consistently-smooth throughout. That shouldn't surprise anyone, of course, but it is worth pointing out.

Cyberpunk 2077 arrives on December 10, 2020, and it's available for pre-order across just about every major platform. If you're a PC gamer, I recommend snagging it over on GOG -- CDPR will get 100 percent of the revenue from your purchase that way, and your copy will be entirely DRM-free.

Permalink to story.

I will not buy this game till I see the reviews of it and there's an average of B+ or better.

At that point, I'll buy it for PC. Hopefully any bugs it has with the 3090 will be worked out by then.

I'm just hoping and anxious that I'll get a considerable advantage on the 3090 than Xbox/PS5 possibly can have.

Doesn’t look to have too many pedestrians to imitate the “busy” metro city. Originally they showed packed streets and sidewalks representing a bustling city... really helped the immersion.

I understand consoles can only handle so much, but this is basically GTA5 levels of population.

I will not buy this game till I see the reviews of it and there's an average of B+ or better.

At that point, I'll buy it for PC. Hopefully any bugs it has with the 3090 will be worked out by then.

I'm just hoping and anxious that I'll get a considerable advantage on the 3090 than Xbox/PS5 possibly can have.

Considering that the GPU alone costs three times (best case) as much as console + controller, anything less would be bad.

I cannot imagine this studio not making a B+ or higher. This seems to have been a labor of love. I only have a 1060 on PC so think I may get it for Xbox One X so I can play on my 75 inch TV. I couldn't tell a huge difference between the 2 versions except in regards to framerate.

I love open-world shooters and always up for a sci-fi fantasy theme. But didn't see anything in this that would make me drop $60 for it right now. The facial animations appeared especially mannequin-like. Particularly when compared to games like Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and Red Dead Redemption II.

Like QuantumPhysics said, I'll wait for the reviews first.

I love open-world shooters and always up for a sci-fi fantasy theme. But didn't see anything in this that would make me drop $60 for it right now. The facial animations appeared especially mannequin-like. Particularly when compared to games like Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and Red Dead Redemption II.

Like QuantumPhysics said, I'll wait for the reviews first.

I understand your point. Witcher 3 was so good they earned a lot of goodwill from me. Hopefully reviews come out pretty quick.

Hard to watch, the video quality is so low even at 1080p looks more like 540p. Also why are the cars as long as a bus.

By no means is this an ugly game, but consider me underwhelmed on Series X. The low bitrate doesn't help. Even with that to contend with though it isn't a patch on the PC gameplay we have seen up to this point, although there is no doubt that was maxed out on a monster machine.

Now why would they have an FPS game ruined by having the cars driven in the stupid and cartoony third person??

Pathetic. I have the feeling this game has been overhyped and is heading into a very bad crash landing.

I know you get your money back from YouTube views, but those who paid out for a 3090 must be livid that the 3080ti is coming in just two months.

Wow, don't know if there's a high framerate mode for the One X but this 30 fps with drops down in the 20's whenever something happens just hurts to look at.
No wonder they had to work more on the PS4 and X-Box One version to make it playable, I feel sorry for the ones who have to deal with it. But I guess they are used to the low framerate. I just cannot stand playing at sub 60 fps, glad it's finaly becoming standard with the new gen consoles. (Atleast the option to)

I know you get your money back from YouTube views, but those who paid out for a 3090 must be livid that the 3080ti is coming in just two months.
It's been like that for a while though. The TITAN being the top end gaming card with some extra productivity hardware, then the xx80ti comes a few months later after all the have to have the best gaming card dudes have bought the titan and offers the same gaming performance for far less. This years titan is the 3090

Back