WD Passport External Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Sorry if this has been posted anywhere else, but im new.

In early 2008 i bought a WD Passport. It worked perfectly on my old laptop, but im no longer able to use that and so, now im using a windows xp computer.

But for some reason when i plug my device in to my computer, a small speech bubble appears and says "USB Device not recognised" and ive tried numerous troubleshootings and all sorts but nothing seems to help.

Another problem is that i no longer have the installation disc, which i can imagine to be a major problem.

The model number is: WD2500XMS-00

Id be extremely gratefull for any help and suggestions that anyone has,
Thankyou in advance

Some peripherals require that you start withthe install disk, which may be the case for you. Example: I have 2 digital cameras, [1] was recognized when it was plugged in, the other needed the software 1st, until prompted to plug it in. That being said, you should be able to visit the support pages and download the required drivers.:)

Tried changing the cable connecting the drive to the computer's USB port? Also, which USB port(s) are you using? If you are using the front ports or the one on your monitor, try using the ones at the back of the PC.

Most external USB hard drives that don't have their own A/C adapter (the WD Passport in particular) are "hi-powered" USB devices meaning they must connected to a port that can supply the needed "higher" USB power

So, as Rage_3K_Moiz, points out try to connect it to each of your computer's USB ports (and try it when no other USB devices are connected)

In addition, something else i've found (and, again, true of the WD Passport in particular) sometimes requires more then 500mA (which is the max per USB spec). I'd also advise try buying a self-powered USB hub that can provide USB ports that exceed the 500mA spec.
>> "Self-powered" means a hub that comes with its own AC adapter
>> I use a Targus ACH81 hub which provides a total 7-ports, but specifically has 2 ports which can supply 1000mA. And, i've experimented with a friend's passport that i found had on/off again problems when i connect it to anything other then the Targus 1000mA ports!

/* EDIT */
Per USB Spec
Low-powered USB devices will only require UP TO 100mA
Hi-powered USB devices may require UP TO 500mA

However, as i note above, some hi-powered devices will sometimes exceed the spec!

I also have a 250GB Passport and it only works with the supplied cable... even if I try another cable with the same exact ratings. Explain THAT!

^well the little 16" USB cable that came supplied with the passport reads:

AWM STYLE 2725 28AWG/1PR+26AWG/2C VW-1 80^C 30V FULL CONDUCTOR

so naturally, i bought a 6-foot belkin cable with the same ratings so i could prop the drive on my desk and BAM, doesn't work!?

Wow, 16" cable? Mine's like 6" or something. Have you tried using one of those two-ended cables, so it can draw power from two USB ports?

hmm, i think my external dvd burner came with one of those that i could try. of course that doesn't really help me since i think that's only like 20 or so inches as well. there's like no winning with this thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back