We need the best Memory and PSU on TechSpot

Jeffrey2009

Hey guys,

I like "THE BEST" column of TECHSPOT very much. I can get to know what the recent best items for each part of a PC quickly even though I'd been away from the market for a long time.
BUT, as the two essential parts of a PC, Memory and PSU are not in the "THE BEST" column. Yet, you could find the so called best Routers, Smart Phones, and Tablets, which are not TECHSPOT's advantages at all.
Guys, we need to do something about this. We should let the TECHSPOT staff know that we need the professional analysis and buying guide for Memory and PSU just the same as CPU and GPU.

MEM.jpg PSU.jpg

PSU's & memory are kind of like comparing washing machines, they just do the job, whereas CPU's & GPU's are kind of like comparing racing cars, one will just about always outperform the other if by just a little margin.

PSU's & memory are kind of like comparing washing machines, they just do the job, whereas CPU's & GPU's are kind of like comparing racing cars, one will just about always outperform the other if by just a little margin.

This is not a true statement. The power supply is the most essential part of a PC. Inferior PSU's are the number one cause for BSOD's

First, different levels of PSU could deliver different performance and they ARE the hearts of our PCs if we look at the CPU as the brain of a PC. Are the Gold Medal Cerifications worth it? How about buying a Platinum, or even Titanium Certification PSU? Why could we find Gold and Bronze PSU so easy, but so few for a Silver one? If I wanna set up a rig of R9-3900X+RTX2080 (Yes, they are the most important parts.), how much power the system will need (TDPs are not telling us the truth, right?) and what rated power of a PSU I should buy?... etc

Second, the Memory is not like washing machines at all either. I know you mean that the different speeds of DDR4 will not influence the final fps in the games as much as CPU & GPU do. However, what we DIYers concern are far beyond just fps in the games, right? What about the stability and capability of different brands Memories on the platforms of Intel's and AMD's? What about single channel and double channels differences? What about some deficient root and excessive superficial brands and how we consumers distinguish them... etc. Nevertheless, the Memory will deliver tremendeous performance differences for scientific computing and deep learning if the users plan to shift from a normal consumer's platform to a HEDT platform.

The last but not the least, neither Memory nor PSU means "just a little margin". Different brands and different levels of them will vary twice, even three to four times of price gap. It IS business, and it WILL bring profit for TECHSPOT as well as CPU and GPU evaluations.

Yet, you could find the so called best Routers, Smart Phones, and Tablets, which are not TECHSPOT's advantages at all.
All depends upon ones point of view. IMO, all these benchmarks on CPU, GPU, Graphic cards are hogwash and the TS value add is in security and networking :)

No overclock.
I fail to see how this is relevant.
What is so funny about the fact I have never seen a BSOD caused by PSU. I seriously don't even think it is possible. My systems have always exhibited other symptoms with a failing PSU.

No...No...No. I don't laugh at you at all. You said that PSU was not your concern, so I just asked what was your concrete bad experience about the Memory moduels.

Not my mileage. Memory modules have been the number one cause in my machines.
Whereas I buy off-the-shelf prebuilt systems, I've never had a component fail; just one virus ate an HD back in 2005.

I would expect premature memory failures where systems are over-clocked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a bsod from a psu, just a computer shut down when it got too hot because the fan quit working and a complete power failure with another. Memory might be a different issue. I was just saying that performance most counts like when you are on an online video game contest and a fraction of a second might make the difference in a ten thousand dollar first prize. As long as there is plenty of storage and power capacity it usually is enough like having enough gas unless there is a complete failure. You can compare gasoline brands but that would be moot.

Last edited:
No overclock.
I fail to see how this is relevant.
What is so funny about the fact I have never seen a BSOD caused by PSU. I seriously don't even think it is possible. My systems have always exhibited other symptoms with a failing PSU.

The power supply is the most important part of the build. Don't take my word for it, go do some reading before you tell someone that knows how important stable and efficient voltage is that they are wrong!

Here is a few tidbits for you nay sayers to read, googled in 20 seconds, however do some googling of your own, you just might learn something.

https://www.techjunkie.com/why-your-power-supply-choice-is-so-important/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2025425/how-to-pick-the-best-pc-power-supply.html

And for reviews for those that are interested. http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/category/reviews/

The power supply is the most important part of the build.
If there is a problem with any component in a build the whole system will glitch. That makes them all equally important. Thanks for your thought but I know better. I don't have to read any of your links to know which of my systems the last 30 years have had problems and what was the issue. I've had my share of bad components.

If laptops will run on a crappy power brick without issues, you have no grounds to stand with your argument.

I appreciate the feedback. We would love to add more Best Of categories but we have decided to keep things as close as possible to our core competencies, so when you see recommendations they're as good as they come and we are fully prepared to back them up.

RAM supply is very diverse and we haven't considered doing a best of selection of modules. Something to consider maybe, although we do try to complement your choice of RAM when testing motherboards and in our PC buying guide (now overdue for an update).

We don't test PSUs on the day-to-day and this would require electrical testing and a very wide spectrum of PSUs tested (of which we currently do none), making it a no-go for now.

Back